Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Addon to Verify Username

I was wondering if anybody could create an addon that checks if a users Minecraft username is legitimate.

I want when users register for my server forums to have to use their same IGN for the forums. To check if the username exists you could use this link

https://minecraft.net/haspaid.jsp?user=USERNAME_HERE

and if it returns false I just want a message to say something like "You must use your Minecraft IGN to sign up". I'm not bothering checking if it's actually them because I have no idea how hard that would be.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sure all of this is possible you could even authenticate. However if you want people to create an addon for you make sure you have budgeted for it.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@gabessdsp this could be implemented completely in JS. Check out this comment for information on how to set up a basic plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/193152

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I have no idea how to do this myself, I was hoping that somebody would either be able to instruct me on how to do this without an add-on or create an add-on.

If somebody would be willing to make this into an add-on for me I can have a small budget for it so please contact me or reply to this forum if interested.

• @hgtonight said:
    gabessdsp this could be implemented completely in JS. Check out this comment for information on how to set up a basic plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/193152

Thank you for the response, I have looked at the post you mentioned but I am still confused, I have so much to do I am not sure I could learn how to make it work and code my own add-on.

Is there anyway you could lead me even further? That post seems to have to do pre-defined titles, I just want to verify the username live while the user is signing up.

edited October 2013

I am willing to do this as a one off plugin for a donation, but I would honestly rather you learn how to do it yourself.

Post back with your budget for a plugin that hooks into the registration screen and verifies whether the selected username is a premium minecraft name. It should also prevent registration from occurring if the username isn't valid.

EDIT - Also, need to know the target Vanilla version (2.0.18.8 or 2.1b2+).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    I am willing to do this as a one off plugin for a donation, but I would honestly rather you learn how to do it yourself.

Post back with your budget for a plugin that hooks into the registration screen and verifies whether the selected username is a premium minecraft name. It should also prevent registration from occurring if the username isn't valid.

EDIT - Also, need to know the target Vanilla version (2.0.18.8 or 2.1b2+).

Target Vanilla Version

I would like to learn, and I will in the long run when I make a more complex version, but I have a lot to get done in the next 3 weeks and I do not have the time or patience to do it myself right now because I would have to learn a new language and a new integration.

Would you be able to make it live? Meaning that as soon as the user types something into the username field it will display whether or not the username is acceptable as changes are made to the field.

Budge wise does $20 sound good? You made it seem so simple so I assumed it wouldn't be too hard to create.

Generally you check for these types of things on the blur event which happens when the user changes fields. So the validation would happen on the page. This is done mostly for performance reasons and some minor security reasons.

If this is fine with you, I can get started.

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    Generally you check for these types of things on the blur event which happens when the user changes fields. So the validation would happen on the page. This is done mostly for performance reasons and some minor security reasons.

If this is fine with you, I can get started.

If you accept the amount I said and know what to do then please go right ahead and get started. Once the plugin is working etc. I will send you the payment :)

• @gabessdsp

nice. thx for supporting developers.

we like that. you earned a developer support badge :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

What a great Idea , here is a simple one and thanks for the support !

@gabessdsp Version 1.0 of Verify Minecraft Username is now available for download: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/verifymcuser-plugin

Please PM me if you cannot use the donation link on the settings page for your sponsorship pledge.

Search first

Note: If you want to validate the usernames server side on 2.0.18.8, you will have to add the missing RegisterValidation events in /applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php

Add $this->FireEvent('RegisterValidation'); on lines 1018, 1060, 1122, and 1188.

If you do not add these events in 2.0.18.8, all verification is done on the client side and could be bypassed by resourceful users.

Search first

• @hgtonight said:
    Note: If you want to validate the usernames server side on 2.0.18.8, you will have to add the missing RegisterValidation events in /applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php

Add $this->FireEvent('RegisterValidation'); on lines 1018, 1060, 1122, and 1188.

If you do not add these events in 2.0.18.8, all verification is done on the client side and could be bypassed by resourceful users.

Thank you very much for this, once I am done some work I will download this and hopefully it is all working correctly, I will have the donation sent to you promptly :)

• @hgtonight said:
    gabessdsp Version 1.0 of Verify Minecraft Username is now available for download: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/verifymcuser-plugin

Please PM me if you cannot use the donation link on the settings page for your sponsorship pledge.

This is great! The only problem is that the message doesn't stay up long enough on my screen, I click sign-up, it takes several seconds, and the some red text appears under the usernamefield for a brief second but then dissapears. It doesn't stay up long enough for users to read it and realize they need to use their minecraft username. I'll go ahead and send in my donation as soon as I am done cooking though :) again, thank you so much. If you could just fix that small problem.

I didn't account for high latency.

Version 1.1 fixes this. Let me know if you have any other issues.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/verifymcuser-plugin-1.1

Search first

Thank you for your donation, I very much appreciate it.

Search first

• gabessdspgabessdsp New
    edited October 2013

@hgtonight said:
    Thank you for your donation, I very much appreciate it.

You're very welcome.
    Now I deleted and removed the old version, and download/enabled the new version but the problem persists. I recorded my screen and uploaded a short youtube video so you can see what is happening.

EDIT: New Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gor7ygks7g&feature=youtu.be

• Until Youtube fully processes my video I realize it might be near impossible to see what is happening, but essentially it is the same problem as before.

Bah... I think I know what is wrong, so try 1.1.1 which was just released!

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/verifymcuser-plugin-1.1.1

Search first