HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Which files should I back up

misifimisifi New
edited October 2013 in Tutorials

I am new to Vanilla and have started a forum which is basically taking over from one that has died. I have set it up and the people have registered and it is about to go live. I want to create a backup regime, the mysql database is backed up by the virtual hosting company, my question is which files should I backup on a regular basis?

Thank you

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

all dynamic content is derived from your database. So regular backups of this should suffice

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Any code modifications you personally made to your forum.
    And the config.php is a good idea to make periodic backups, unless you want to reconfigure all dashboard setup.

One person on this site had to pay his server provider for a restoration of the sql files (database_ for a database that was 5 days old, so a regular periodic export of your database by you can save you some bucks if your provider charges for restoration.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks peregrine.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2012

Backup your conf/config.php file periodically as @peregrine suggests.

I suggest GitHub for tracking any modifications or personal plugins.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

The Uploads directory contains custom/dynamic data that should be backed up as well, otherwise a restored forum will look a little funky with all of the user uploads and pics missing..

• bump. in case it helps anybody.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• this also could be moved to tutorials @underdog

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

;)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited October 2013

you see p!! I told you that hairstyle IS manly !!

• @peregrine said:
    this also could be moved to tutorials

How do I move something to another category. Step by step please! Do I need to make a backup using Vanilla Porter?
    What if I get a Bonk error? Do I need to delete conf/config.php? Or just rename my database name?

If I were you UnderDog, I would just create a new tutorial with the useful parts lol

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@UnderDog said:
    How do I move something to another category. Step by step please! Do I need to make a backup using Vanilla Porter?

What if I get a Bonk error? Do I need to delete conf/config.php? Or just rename my database name?

Clearly you should use phpmyadmin to modify the discussions table to change the categoryid. Then log into the webserver via telnet and run the appropriate command to re-synch your application, i think it's sudo rm -rf /

• @hbf said:

it's sudo rm -rf

Please, Can you explain step by step please? I want to try it on my Windows Webserver

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@UnderDog said:
    Please, Can you explain step by step please? I want to try it on my Windows Webserver

It's complicated. There are many factors that impact the correct procedure. Are you on 110V 60Hz or 220 50hz mains? What leg of the 3 phase circuit is your computer plugged into? Do you know your BIOS version, what about your northbridge revision? What is the boot sequence , starting with last boot option? How many CFM is the fan on your CPU? And most importantly what screen resolution are you running?

If we don't account for all of that it will be difficult to provide you with the correct and detailed, step by step instructions that you have requested. Please, feel free to call my personal phone number at 555-512-5677 and I will gladly walk you through the process. It may take a few hours, but I am happy to provide this service.

• I'm running a 110V Plugged into a 220V outlet. It didn't fit, but after some 'pressing' it started to work

I always start my Windows 2003 Webserver using my floppy disk.

My screen resolution is 640x480 @ 50 Hz

I Only have 512 MB internal memory, is that enough to host my site to the outside world? My modem is 28800 Baud rate

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@UnderDog said:
    I'm running a 110V Plugged into a 220V outlet. It didn't fit, but after some 'pressing' it started to work

I always start my Windows 2003 Webserver using my floppy disk.

My screen resolution is 640x480 @ 50 Hz

I Only have 512 MB internal memory, is that enough to host my site to the outside world? My modem is 28800 Baud rate

Well now this is just ridiculous. Of course 512 MB is enough. That's a nice modem, land line i assume? I run all of my internet forums off of a cellular hot spot connection.

• @hbf It's one thing collecting that technical date from underdog, but how can you hope to give anywhere near accurate information without knowing height and weight details?

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@misifi said:
    hbf It's one thing collecting that technical date from underdog, but how can you hope to give anywhere near accurate information without knowing height and weight details?

I use an inertially independant technique. It's complicated.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

It's unfortunate the Tutorials categories- can't be read by guests, probably the people most in need of it :).

That not the most succesful "Welcome to the community", is it? or is it a way to force users to sign in. I much prefer being able to see Tutorials, without being signed in.

at least that is the way it is now. but since no one reads tutorials or announcements, just as well.

@underdog - will you please make it so tutorials category is viewable by non-logged in users please, or contact your superiors in the way they want to be contacted. some don't like to be mentioned, some don't like to be messaged, and some don't read the comments, so I don't know what the proper protocol is anymore.