Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I need help to understand and fix redirect

I installed the latest stable version of Vanilla about 3 months ago on my website and got the single sign on to work using the older simpler method. I forget it's name. Then, after several months of incident-free running, I decided to move to a new server. I moved a copy of the PHP scripts over to the new server and copied the database.

Testing on the new server: When I clicked the link to go to the forum it came up NOT FOUND (404).

My PHP statement that gets me to the forum was

Redirect("/vanilla/entry/jsconnect?client_id=123456&Target=discussions");

So I modified it to read

Redirect("/vanilla#/entry/jsconnect?client_id=123456&Target=discussions");

and it took me to the forum but I wasn't signed in automatically like it did on the old server. Then, when I click the sign-in link on the forum, I get NOT FOUND (404).

When I look at the web address it was attempting to go to, it reads:

http://www.mydomain.com/vanilla/entry/signin?Target=discussions

I've got two questions. Is there some option I need to set to get this different server to do what the old one was doing, namely go to the right page instead of giving me a NOT FOUND ?

And how does the script in my Vannila Forum (the one that's working) take a redirect of "/vanilla/entry/jsconnect?client_id=123456&Target=discussions" and get to pages that don't actually exist ?

Thanks for your time and anything you can say that helps me understand and migrate.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hi, so I take it you have v2.0.18.8 installed?

Please disable all plugins to discard their possible interference.

Are you able to connect to the new forum normally ?

• yes I have v 2.0.18.8 installed.
    I remember there was a line that says something like "you can always connect to your forum by typing...." I cannot find that line. I will need it to get to the forum in order to disable the plugins. Do you know where I can find it?
    Thanks so much for your help.

Please open your config.php

/conf/config.php

Then find the Enabled Plugins and change True to False . But be careful no to do it to htmlawd or Vanilla. Just the plugins that you added including disconnect.

Please report what happens

• I don't see "disconnect". And I put false everywhere "proxy connect" (my only plugin) was mentioned.

Results are the same.

I noticed something in the docs about .htaccess and something to be added to another file for Apache.

"Apache: Requires .htaccess to be working on your server. Edit your config.php file and set $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;"

Is there something I need to do to get .htaccess "working" ?

Thanks again.

Here is a copy of my htaccess file you have one too I added foro
    you add your subdirectory name instead . Try that and see what happens, Rewrite URL is for pretty url.But first you need to get it to find the forum..

# Modified
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /foro
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

• v,
    I modified the .htaccess file and put it in and it gave me the sign-in screen. I went into my conf file and turned back on the stuff I turned off. I reverted my call to the forum to not have the # in it.

AND everything works just like single sign-on on the old server.

Thanks so much for your help.

r.

• Robert, can you make a page about the Single Sign-on on the Vanilla Wiki please?

There was an error rendering this rich post.