HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What Body Formats Do You Use for Basic Pages?

ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
edited August 2013 in Feedback

Are you already currently using another format than HTML for a page? If not, do you plan to use formats other than HTML for Basic Pages in the future, even if you don't have the app yet? If you currently use another format, would there be a problem with using HTML only?

I would like to know how people are currently using pages when it comes to text formatting. Answers will go towards helping make the app more friendly by fixing some issues with page body textarea field.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

Comments

• @shadowdare

I just grabbed it to see if it is good for my uses, is there a way to set the input formatter for just Basic Pages? My forum uses HTML, but since this is static/expository content, it would be great to use markdown.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

@LucasKA said:
    I just grabbed it to see if it is good for my uses, is there a way to set the input formatter for just Basic Pages? My forum uses HTML, but since this is static/expository content, it would be great to use markdown.

Hi @LucasKA, thanks for checking it out! Please also check out my proposal for a blogging app when you have a moment if you're looking for a way to publish articles with something that's fully integrated into Vanilla.

I'll look into adding that feature if there is a big need for it. Are you thinking about a setting to change the input formatter for Basic Pages globally or each page individually?

• @shadowdare

I think it would be a global thing for me. I'll check out your proposal.

I have one other question which isn't for this subject, should I make another post? Lol.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@LucasKA said:
    I have one other question which isn't for this subject, should I make another post? Lol.

Different discussion :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @LucasKA said:
    I think it would be a global thing for me.

I'll add it to the list of ideas for Basic Pages. @hgtonight, do you think the body format setting should be global or per page? If global, do you think it should use the format set in Vanilla?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Shadowdare said:
    do you think the body format setting should be global or per page? If global, do you think it should use the format set in Vanilla?

Depends how complex you want to make your Basic Pages plugin. IF I was bothering to add this, I would probably add a default formatter configuration for new pages and add a dropdown (that defaults to the config setting) to the edit screen. You could roll in the 'Raw Html' option into that dropdown. You are already tracking the format. Best of most worlds.

You could even do something like this C('BasicPages.DefaultFormatter', C('Garden.InputFormatter', 'Html'));

Seems excessive? Probably is considering static content doesn't get updated regularly. You have to draw the line somewhere

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I've read the entire discussion but I'm not sure if it's possible to switch from Simple Html to Markdown?

• @r0obert‌, would you prefer to have a format setting that is global or per-page?

• @Shadowdare I'd like to use the same format on all pages that I create using Basic Pages app. It would be interesting to see how the 'per-page' format setting would work also though. Thanks!

• @Shadowdare where can I set the format?

edited June 2014

@r0obert‌, there's currently no way to set the format apart from editing the database record. I plan to add a per-page format setting soon in the next release of Basic Pages.

• r0obertr0obert
    edited June 2014

@Shadowdare thanks a lot, sounds great! I'm looking forward for the next release!

edited June 2014

@r0obert‌, I just released an update with the page format feature! Check it out here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/209542/#Comment_209542