Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Broken Image on Profile Picture

When I upload a photo, it's broken. When I open it on a new tab it shows a Bonk Error. Here is a video to show this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYhhT8fVkCo

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hi, can you elaborate ?
    What Version of Vanilla do you use?

Please follow these steps :

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Bonk_Errors

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    Hi, can you elaborate ?
    What Version of Vanilla do you use?

Please follow these steps :

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Bonk_Errors

good point Bonk error documentation. Always the first place i would look is documentation.

Tomaure,

• A wonderful Welcome to the community. How are you?

• you probably haven't noticed this wonderful discussion, all kinds of good tips.

• http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23130/forum-post-ettikett-etiquette

posting your detailed error message might be more helpful rather than a video. Also some of us can't view videos, at least one of us is unable to do so due to bandwidth limitations.

another reason why the bonk page should have a link to bonk documentation. I lost count after over 1000 people asked bonk errors "what should i do?" :)

Then the people who prefer more downtime and a more Professional Look, rather than knowing how to solve it - could change their web page to remove the link to the doc

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

I like your new signature @vrijvlinder

If people don't read the Documentation prior to using software, and if they don't generally search the forum, at least they will see your signature - which is pretty well defined and hard to miss. Just by clicking on the items in the signature they will have the opportunity to learn about searching, bonk errors, firebug and some etiquette.

even if they haven't read this

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23130/forum-post-ettikett-etiquette

or any of the items in the Tutorial category or scanned the wiki.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Yes I am experimenting with varied levels of in your-face-advertising for info...
    The Box shadow really makes it 3d lol I think the key is to switch it around so people don't become used to it and their brain trained to ignore it ...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

I sure hope the new users read your links in your signature before they even post and the > anouncements, even if they neglect to read the documentation.

It will make for smarter questions - no matter what the culture or language (I'm sure google translate works for 95% of the people here, if they used it - it would give some semblance or gist of meaning.)

• TomaureTomaure New
    edited October 2013

Hello, sorry for not giving any information. Okay, so when I upload an image, it's broken. When I open it in a new tab it shows a bonk error. I added the code to show the information so here it is:

Fatal Error in PHP.trigger_error();

Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir '/f5/craftlife/public/forums/cache/Smarty/compile'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.
    The error occurred on or near: /f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php
    1109: * @param integer $error_type
    1110: */
    1111: function trigger_error($error_msg, $error_type = E_USER_WARNING)
    1112: {
    1113: trigger_error("Smarty error: $error_msg", $error_type);
    1114: }
    1115:
    1116:
    1117: /**
    Backtrace:
    /f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1113] PHP::trigger_error();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/internals/core.write_compiled_resource.php:23] Smarty->trigger_error();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1451] PHP::smarty_core_write_compiled_resource();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1274] Smarty->_compile_resource();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1126] Smarty->fetch();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/core/class.smarty.php:81] Smarty->display();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/core/class.controller.php:1566] Gdn_Smarty->Render();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/core/class.controller.php:1141] Gdn_Controller->RenderMaster();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/core/class.pluggable.php:193] Gdn_Controller->xRender();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.homecontroller.php:63] Gdn_Pluggable->__call();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.homecontroller.php:63] HomeController->Render();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.homecontroller.php:63] HomeController->FileNotFound();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:322] PHP::call_user_func_array();
    [/f5/craftlife/public/forums/index.php:53] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();
    Variables in local scope:
    [error_msg] 'unable to write to $compile_dir \'/f5/craftlife/public/forums/cache/Smarty/compile\'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.'
    [error_type] 256
    Need Help?
    If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.
    If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Vanilla Community Forums.
    Additional information for support personnel:
    Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.0.18.8
    PHP Version: 5.3.27-nfsn1
    Operating System: FreeBSD
    Server Software: Apache/2.2
    Referer: http://craftlife.co/forums/discussion/1/welcome
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/30.0.1599.16 Mobile/11A465 Safari/8536.25
    Request Uri: /forums/uploads/userpics/999/nQVNJQEIMYVFG.png
    Controller: PHP
    Method: trigger_error

Ok let's look at the error:

Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir '/f5/craftlife/public/forums/cache/Smarty/compile'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.

You need to make sure your permissions are correct and that the folder is writeable.

• TomaureTomaure New
    edited October 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    Ok let's look at the error:

You need to make sure your permissions are correct and that the folder is writeable.

I am an admin, so the permissions don't matter. Indeed, the folder and all it's sub directories are chmod 777. Still not sure what the problem is!
    Edit: Now I can't log in the MySQL database:

The stop request was not successful:

connect to server at 'craftlife.db' failed error: 'Access denied for user 'tomaure'@'172.17.0.170' (using password: YES)'

edited October 2013

Yes I meant permissions on the folders, you should not put them at 777 in fact most hosts forbid it. Please make them no more than 755 0r 775.

There is no need if the correct User is Owner. Owner is in most cases your user id for the hosting account.
    Then there are the chmod permissions .

Please delete the contents of the compile folder in the the Smarty directory. And empty the cache.

the correct address to the forum should be craftlife/forums not craftlife/public/forums correct?

Are you using cpanel ? How do you have this installed ?