Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Wordpress - jsConnect - Vanilla Forums

Embed works, but I can't get logins to function. All are fresh installs with latest versions using HostGator/cPanel's file manager. Client and Secret IDs match; links match. When I login to Wordpress it does nothing in Vanilla. When I login to Vanilla using the "Login through Wordpress button" it doesn't work and kicks me to the Vanilla login screen. Logging into Vanilla does nothing in Wordpress.

Obviously I've missed something, any suggestions?

Umby

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

Do your test links work?

Have you tried WP Vanilla Connect?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited October 2013

I'm using WP Vanilla Connect, hence the Secret ID's. As I said, the latest versions of everything; fresh installs all around. The test link only takes me to the front page of WP. There is no documentation for this plugin regarding what the Test Link is suppose to actually do.

• edited October 2013

I assume the WP Vanilla Forum plugins and jsConnect work in unison. Do they both work with the latest versions of Wordpress and Vanilla Forum? According to the plugin page at Wordpress, no one has gotten it to work? Or if they have, they haven't reported it as successful yet.

The instructions I've found thus far are outdated, and I've found conflicting instructions here at Vanilla regarding EMBED, but I believe that is working fine, just not authenticating back and forth between WP and Vanilla.

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

There are two plugins in available through WordPress that connect to Vanilla Forums. The official plugin is called Vanilla Forums and a community plugin called WP Vanilla Connect. Which one are you using? What are the version numbers?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Opps sorry, not using "Connect" plugin, I'm using the official WP "Vanilla Forum" plugin version 1.1.14 (the latest version), and Wordpress 3.6.1 (the latest version), and Vanilla Forum version 2.0.18.8 (the latest version). All are fresh installs. I installed the plugins in Wordpress using the built-in install process of Wordpress. Everything seems to have installed fine. The Client ID and Secret numbers match in both WP plugin and jsConnect, and the URLs have been copied over too, per the instructions. Everything looks ok, but WP and Vanilla don't seem to be talking to each other.

I have only embedded a few times, but I ended up using WP Vanilla connect rather than the official plugin. You should try it and let us know if it works.

Search first

• I am all for that, but I would like to use the widgets that come with the "official" plugin, the "Connect" version doesn't have any widgets or extra interactivity at all. All it does is log users into the forums. So, unless you know of a way where I can have my cake and eat it too (use the Connect plugin AND keep the features of the Official plugin), then I need to get the official plugin to work.

It will give us a jumping off point if WP Vanilla Connect works.

Baby steps.

Search first

• Ok, valid point. I'll see what I can do.

• edited October 2013

Interesting twist, the WP Vanilla Connect plugin isn't working anymore with the latest versions of WP. As others are reporting too. It will install but the controls for the plugin are no longer available anywhere on the backend except under the Plugins panel itself (only the edit is there, that's no good). So I cannot even enter the settings to see if it would work. I have left a message for the developer on his website.

Any other suggestions?

=================================

I've made some comments already under the jsConnect Plugin, but I wanted to pose this issue with the rest of the community. jsConnect doesn't seem to be working anymore with the latest version of Wordpress (3.6.1). I've tried installing it with the latest version of Vanilla Forums (2.0.18.8) and using the latest version of jsConnect (1.0.3b). I believe this combination of "Latest Versions" is the issue especially on the WP end.

I've made sure the Client ID and Secret ID match and have copied the URLs over to the jsConnect plugin. Everything seems correct, but no go.

I used a fresh installations all around so no other plugins might interfere. The iFrame EMBED part is working fine, but WP and Vanilla don't seem to be talking. When I login to WP it does nothing on the Vanilla side. When I login to Vanilla it only refreshes the screen and takes me to the WP home page (does not log to into either).

One suggestion was to try the WP Vanilla Connect plugin instead of the official WP Vanilla Forum plugin, but it looks like the developer has dropped that project (it no longer works at all with the latest version of WP either, but with a different kind of issue). But since I wanted to use the widgets anyway from the official plugin I'm now back to trying to figure this out.

I'm also considering GLUE as an alternative.

Any Suggestions?

I'm going to try a clean install of everything one more time just to make sure there wasn't any glitches during the install process, will let you all know later this day.

Thanks for the ear,

Umby

• Tried another clean install of everything (latest versions of all) and still no go.

Is this a dead project? ... Does jsConnect no longer work with Wordpress? ... if so, then it need to be removed as one of the primary features of Vanilla forums.

Umby

It still works on the single install of WP I have. It is at the latest version.

That is using the WP Vanilla Connect wordpress plugin.

Search first

• WP Vanilla Connect does NOT work with the latest version of WP as several people have indicated in both the WP community and on the Developer's own site, all of which is being simply ignored by the developer. I'd say that plugin is dead from this point unless the developer stirs a bit ... lol.

Not to mention, I wasn't referring to the WP Vanilla Connect plugin, but rather to the official plugin created right here. If I'm wrong, I'd like someone to prove me so. I would love to get his working. Otherwise, I'd say that the jsConnect/WP integration is dead also.

If someone would help me in figuring out the issue, I would write an entire set of step-by-step instructions myself for the future users to download and utilize.

WordPress 3.6.1, WP Vanilla Connect Version 1.1.1, and Vanilla 2.0.18.8 are working for me.

I just double checked to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Search first

• edited October 2013

Outstanding! ... And there is no custom code added? ... You've inspired me to dig deeper then. I will give it another go, but what might be interfering with the WP Vanilla Connect. When I install the plugin there are no settings anywhere to input? ... except the edit link under the plugin itself, unless I'm just missing something.

... And do we know the status of the official plugin by the Vanilla team? ... Should it still be working as well?

Umby

I can't comment on the official vanilla forums plugin as I don't use it and didn't write it.

The settings page for WP Vanilla Connect is under the users menu. http://www.example.com/wp-admin/users.php?page=wp-vanilla-connect

Search first

• Ok, I will perform another clean install and download everything fresh just in case I got something corrupted previously. Thanks, I will let you know how it turns out.

Umby