HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Feedback for Bulk Invite

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited September 2013

@DenisS Pending indicates that the invitation has not been used to register an account. The send again option is just a quick link to resend a standard invitation email.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hey hg, thanks for the great plugin.

One problem: My invites - sent with invitation code - are still listed as "pending" after the user has already registered. I'm running 2.0.18.8.

Is there a way to set a custom category for bulk-invited users?

• Options

I am not sure what you mean by custom category.

As far as the "pending" status remaining, is your forum invite only? Does it allow standard registration?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Released version 1.2.2 which contains a minor bugfix. Special thanks the Clemens for pointing it and submitting a patch/idea.

Search first

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

I am trying to use Bulk Invite (Vanilla Version 2.0.18.8) as a vehicle for generating invite codes and tried to do that by entering my email id several times in the "Recipients E-mail Addresses" box. Alas, this plugin is too smart;-) - it figured out that I am already registered to my forum.

Background (aka "my business need"): I need to have a selected group of people whom I call "Initiators" send personal invites from their own email addresses to their own friends with invitations to join the closed forum. In other words, I'm using the "Initiators" to get their friends to join the closed club. I do want to use invite codes. I thought the Bulk Invite would do the trick, intending to send the invites to the Initiators who then would use the codes (with the basic email content as I create in the "Invitation Message") to distribute to their friends.

Any ideas?

• Options

@rbrahmson‌ I am a little confused as to what your issue is. Mind elaborating?

Vanilla already has a system in place for existing users to send invites to other people. (e.g. http://forums.example.com/profile/invitations).

Bulk Invite will let you send out invitation codes to a bulk email list.

Search first

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

Sure, and my apologies if I wasn't clear. I am new to Vanilla and the forum.
    I tried to figure things out on my own and noticed the built-in invite function, and found it limited for my needs. First, I want the emails to be sent from the "Initiators" (see above) personal email address (not the system's email), and secondly I want them to do that for a number of people (thus the look for "bulk"). The Initiators are very busy people and they would not likely do repeated individual invites from the profile, so for these two reasons that method doesn't work for me. Additionally, the profile created email invites does not allow the flexibility of controlling the email content the same way Bulk Invite does.

As for the Bulk Invite, again, I was using it to try to get invite codes into emails, and make it easy for the Initiators to take these bulk invites and forward them as their own emails.

So for example, let's say one of my Initiators's email is "Joe@gmail.com". I was planning to use Bulk Invite and specified Joe@gmail.com five consecutive times to email Joe five invites whom Joe knows but I don't. Joe would be expected to distribute the emails as personal recommendation to his friends to join the forum. Being a closed forum the only way I planned to allow joining the forum is through this "Initiator's Invites".

I found that the Bulk Invite plugin checks for the specified email that it is not already enrolled. That prevents emailing to enrolled Initiators (and perhaps using repeated addressees).

One more thing -- I was stopped in my tracks before actually verifying that this scheme won't fail down the way in some other ways (for example, if Vanilla verifies that the email attempting registration [the real intended invitee] is not the one for which the invite code was issued [the Initiator]).

I hope this explains it. I am all open to suggestions, but please bear in mind that I am not a programmer, just a guy with some initiative... Your experienced insights would be welcome.

• Options

From the sounds of it, you want to be able to hand out codes to existing users. Those users can hand them out to their friends as they see fit. The first person that attempts to register with that code gets it.

The current invitation system does not work this way. Invitations are coded to a particular email address.

I think your best bet is to write a plugin that lets users send their invites in bulk from within vanilla. Something like a bulk invite interface for users that have invites left. This would make using the current invite registration system painless since the system would already know the intended invitee's email address.

Search first

• Options
    edited March 2014

@hgtonight said:
    From the sounds of it, you want to be able to hand out codes to existing users. Those users can hand them out to their friends as they see fit. The first person that attempts to register with that code gets it.

The current invitation system does not ...

Not exactly - I wanted to hand out several codes to selected existing users (whom I give the role of "Initiators") and they will send one code (in a preformatted email template) to one of their friends. One code per one friend.

@hgtonight said: Invitations are coded to a particular email address...

Do you mean to say that when the actual registration takes place, the invite code must match the email that the invite code was sent to through Bulk Invite?

@hgtonight said: I think your best bet is to write a plugin...

Way beyond my abilities and an overkill. I was hoping that the BulkInvites could be modified not to validate the email ids so that my process would work...

• Options

@rbrahmson said:
    Do you mean to say that when the actual registration takes place, the invite code must match the email that the invite code was sent to through Bulk Invite?

Bulk invite only generates codes outside the invite model. Registration (with the code) is still handled by the standard dashboard application. The standard invite registration process uses the email listed in the invite table for registration.

@rbrahmson said:
    I was hoping that the BulkInvites could be modified not to validate the email ids so that my process would work...

The registration process (on the back end) is complex by necessity. It is possible to do what your are talking about, but it falls well outside the scope of this plugin.

Search first

• Options

As they say, don't kill the messenger, so may you live long and prosper!
    But I'll have to rethink the process now...

• Options

No worries. :)

Search first

• Options

does bulk invite work with 2.1.5?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Don't know if the plugin is in the list but either it is and you are lucky or it is not. Then please try and give feedback. Thanks.

• Options

@xwind11 said:

Did you try it?

when you answer you own question, please do add it to the list

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-themes-that-work-and-dont-work-in-vanilla-2-1/p1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@xwind11 said:

I tested it as working in 2.1. I haven't tested it in the 2.1.5 patch.

I am always thankful for people reporting bugs with my addons. If you find any, please post it here. :)

Search first

• Options

I'm using this plugin with the InviteRoles plugin to grant access to certain forum parts through invites. It's working perfectly for inviting new forummembers. However, if I enter an email that's already used for a registered user, I'd love it if the system simply applied the role to the user instead of giving me an error. Is this even possible?

• Options

if I enter an email that's already used for a registered user,

you can use the same email for different users with this.

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['EmailUnique'] = false;

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['EmailUnique'] = false;

But then they'd have to create a new account for them to get access, correct?