Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] How to turn off automatic bookmarking

LeftBrainLeftBrain ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to this so I'll post it here.

I'm using Vanilla forum 2.0.18.1. The forum is here http://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk

I had a problem with the forum a little while back and fortunately that got resolved.

However, ever since it got fixed I've now noticed that all new discussions are automatically bookmarked for me where prior to the last month, this wasn't happening.

How do you turn off automatic bookmarking of new discussions?

One problem is that it seems like almost every user is getting automatic bookmarking on discussions and they are being contacted frequently. I want to turn this feature (or quirk) off. Any ideas?

Comments

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

Hi, @LeftBrain. By bookmarking, do you mean the star icon next to the posts are being checked automatically, or that users are being notified by email and notifications in their profile even when the star isn't checked? If it's the latter, then it probably has to do with default user notification settings that are set in the config.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• By bookmarking I mean the star icon on the right side of posts. Whenever someone makes a new post, it gets turned into a bookmarked discussion for me and some other people on the forum automatically.

• That auto bookmarking functionality isn't built in to Vanilla as far as I know. You probably have a plugin such as the AutoBookmark plugin installed that's doing that.

• @LeftBrain Also, please update to 2.0.18.8 when you get a chance. This version resolves some important security issues.

• I'm not sure which plugin that would be. Here are the ones I have installed.

Vanilla
    AdSense
    All Viewed
    Analytics
    BetterNotifications
    BotStop
    EMailSubscribe
    Emotify :)
    Feed Discussions
    Identicon5 (jQuery)
    In This Discussion
    Pockets
    Registration Restrict Logger
    SEOCompanion
    Signatures
    Vanilla Statistics
    Vanillicon
    WYSIWYG (CLEditor)

Which one of those adds bookmarks?

• @50sQuiff - thanks for the tip. Didn't even realize I didn't have the latest install

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@LeftBrain

As @Shadowdare suggested, this doesn't look like standard Vanilla behaviour, and whilst I don't know all those plugins, none looks a likely candidate to do this on purpose.

Try turning off all the plugins (except BotStop and Registration restrict) and see if that clears it.

If it does, re-enable the plugins one at a time, until the issue reoccurs, and you will have found your culprit.

• Great suggestion. Thanks!

• Ok, I've turned off all my plugins (except the spam stoppers) and the bookmarking stars are still there. http://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussions

• Alright, I tried something different (as I'm still getting the reports of people getting emails about every new post).

In the config file there is a setting

$Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment'] = '1';

So, I switched it to '0' to turn it off. But I was reading that this will only apply it to new people signing up, not to people currently in the database. Guess I have to turn those off directly.

• Does anyone know which field needs to be turned off in the database?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

Changing the config setting will apply to both new people and people who haven't changed and saved their notification preferences. If your members customized their notification preferences, then their settings won't be affected.

I believe the $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment'] is only for the email notification setting if members bookmarked a discussion themselves, and isn't related to the auto bookmarking issue.

• Update: I've turned off all email contact options and I'm still getting contacted when someone starts a new discussion.

Interestingly, I've got a plugin set up to automatically post new conversations from an RSS feed of my blog but these new conversations do not get sent to me.

Any ideas?

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

post a screen shot of your notification preferences.

• LeftBrainLeftBrain ✭✭
    edited November 2013

Screen shot of preferences.

http://chemistscorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/preferences.png (I'm not sure how to post pictures)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The link in the left side-bar named "E-mail Subscriptions" is not in the default 2.0.18.8 install. What is shown when that is clicked?

What is the url for that link?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ah, those are all clicked as subscribe. Let me turn those off and see what happens.
    Thanks!

I was perusing through the source code of EMailSubscribe. It bookmarks discussions automatically to keep you "subscribed" to the discussion.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Boom, looks like the problem is solved. EMailSubscribe was it. I just tested it and there was no automatic subscribe. Although, turning off all the plugins didn't fix it so I can't really explain that. However...

The solution to it all was this...if you have EMailSubscribe installed, you have to manually turn off email notification in your profile to stop discussions from being automatically turned into bookmarks for you.

Thanks everyone!

Glad you got it sorted @LeftBrain!

You can thank volunteers by clicking on any reactions you feel fit their comments. ;)

Search first