Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

May I host the Vanilla Core ZIP Packages on my WordPress Blog with permission from Vanilla Forums?

May I host the Vanilla Core ZIP Packages on my WordPress Blog with permission from Vanilla Forums? It might help attract users from my forum and blog to you guys (people who have a hard time finding forum software)

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Assuming you follow the terms of the license agreement (GPLv2), you should be able to redistribute it.

That said, I think it is a bad idea to host the actual files since this site is reliable and will always be kept up to date.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

And where is the License? Don't tell me it's inside the ZIP Package

• Options
    edited November 2013

It is in the package

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

hmm... one might try google for gpl if told that license is gpl.

Also finding vanilla is about as easy as it gets from a generic "Open Source Forum Software" search

And if you want to lead the masses of followers you have at your site to vanilla, why not just provide a link? I'm sure the swarm of loyal followers will be able to use your link to the official distro.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2013

You can do this but I would advise against, it, we really don't want people to be using outdated version of it. As hbf says why not just provide a link to the download page?

grep is your friend.

• Options

Just curious, why would you want to host it yourself and why would someone want to download from anywhere other than the official site? I personally would worry about the possibility of malicious code being included.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@Pixelnated said:
    Just curious, why would you want to host it yourself and why would someone want to download from anywhere other than the official site? I personally would worry about the possibility of malicious code being included.

soon we will all be going to his site for technical support from vanilla, you didn't get the newsletter?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Given that Vanilla are 3rd in Google for the search term 'forum software', I can't think too many people will have trouble finding them, if they are looking.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

Overeagerness, does not equate with being helpful. It can actually be unhelpful.

It may have to do with "hubris". It can occur no matter the age of an op.

• Sometimes it is better to sit back,
    • learn,
    • silence can be golden.
    • gratuitous welcomes on the activity wall seem like spamming and provide very little except for cluttering the wall.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@whu606 said:
    Given that Vanilla are 3rd in Google for the search term 'forum software', I can't think too many people will have trouble finding them, if they are looking.

you can't reasonably expect someone to go to google to search for something, can you?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

hbf

My bad.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Well, clearly, I wasn't...

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

I'll let it slide this time, just don't let it happen again.