Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Moving categories above discussions

Hi gang,

When I create a subforum, it always displays at the bottom of the discussions in the parent category. Is there a simple way to move it to the top?

Tagged:

Comments

• your best bet is to show a screenshot of what you mean or a link to your page.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Does this help?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited November 2013

It has to do with your custom theme as the default Vanilla theme has the categories on top. Check if there's any custom CSS rules doing that or look for any discussion views being overridden with view files in the theme's folder.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Even deleting the custom discussions views, this still seems to be the case. What sort of method name should I be looking for specifically?

• Okay, looking further, I see that this particular forum uses this plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/subcategories-plugin to add the subcategories, and appearing below discussions is a reported problem.

Without this plugin, my unmodified discussion pages do not show subcategories at all. Any clues as to what I would need to add or remove to give the theme native support for this concept at the top of the page? Or else what might interfere with such a plugin outputting at the top of the page as it was apparently intended to do?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Before modifying your theme, try switching to the default theme and checking that it looks the way you want.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks for the response, hgtonight! It does look the way I want. I have been reading the default theme for some time trying to figure out where I have strayed, but I'm still not certain what kind of smarty tag or function name I am specifically looking for.