Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error importing from phpBB3 using Vanilla Porter

Didn't find this particular problem in any other threads. I'm attempting to use the Porter to export a forum from phpBB3 into Vanilla 2. When I try to upload it into the new forum, it returns the error "The user table was not in the import file."

When I look in the file it does look like the User table is absent (// Exported Table: User (0 rows, 00:00.00)), but I'm not sure why that is. It looks like all the other tables have imported correctly, as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version of Vanilla are you running?

What version of the porter are you using?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks! Vanilla version is 2.0.18.8 and the Porter is 1.8.0

• don't know if porter plus will help you, but you could give it a try.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Which phpBB3 version?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I have the exact same problem.
    Vanilla 2.0.18.8
    Porter 1.8.0
    PhpBB 3.0.11

• same problem here. Vanilla 2.0.18.8 Porter 1.8.0 PHPBB v 3.0.11

• I will try to take a look, but it might take a while. I presume that since phpBB 3.0.11 some fields have been added to the user table and the Porter doesn't understand it...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I have the exact same problem. Do you have to use the Porter? Or can you export to sql file and import that directly into Vanilla?

Total noob to Vanilla forums, so apologies if this is a stupid question.

• My guess is it is is to do with the case of the tables what does show tables; output in mysql, in the phpBB forum?

Are you using windows?

grep is your friend.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Does anyone want to email us a dump of their phpbb3 database? That would be much appreciated.

• Has anyone come up with a straight forward solution to this? I'd like to start using Vanilla instead of my existing phpbb forum, but so far just get this error when I try importing the data file that the porter generated.

I've tried several attempts, but every time it's saying the user table is not in the import file.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

• Any help with this would be appreciated.

What is the point asking that if you don't respond to post asking to provide information?

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    What is the point asking that if you don't respond to post asking to provide information?

What info did you ask for?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited November 2013

@dweezer

x00

September 2

My guess is it is is to do with the case of the tables what does show tables; output in mysql, in the phpBB forum?

Are you using windows?

You got an almost immediate response, which you didn't reply to.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@dweezer

You got an almost immediate response, which you didn't reply to.

What info did you ask for?

Todd said:
    Does anyone want to email us a dump of their phpbb3 database? That would be much appreciated.

and maybe this as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I'm using windows on my test site on localhost. WAMP stack, but live site server is Linux / Apache I believe.

I can send a dump of my database, but I'm new to this. What format do I need to send, and does dump mean, the entire export of the PHPbb database?

Do I just email you Todd?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

Do I just email you Todd?

@Todd - what say you?

I assume so.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Try adding the user table to the database before using the porter ? It is worth a try

this might be useful http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23082/problem-with-import-from-phpbb2

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18216/database-how-to-import-data-from-another-table

Just to add, I did try to follow the thread suggestions from vrijvlinder, but I'm very new to SQL. I kept getting syntax errors when I tried the thing suggested in the first thread, and the stuff in the second thread seemed to relate to images. I'm not even sure what that's about to be honest, but I think it beyond what I need to do.

Basically, I really love the look and feel of Vanilla. I currently have a small forum running in PHPbb, but I'd like to transfer that forum onto the Vanilla forum system.

I did follow through the steps detailed to use the Porter tool to export the phpbb forum, and I feel I know enough to know that I followed the guide for that correctly.

But when trying to import the database that the Porter tool generated into the vanilla forum on my test site, I just get the error "The user table was not in the import file."

Vanilla looks awesome, I'm really looking forward to starting using it for my forum, but obviously I would prefer to have the existing Users and Topics / Threads transferred from the old PHPbb forum.

But even if I can't get it to work I'm still looking forward to using Vanilla, because it looks loads better, and a lot easier to use for users compared to PHPbb.