Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Performance] White flash when clicking links

xValxVal New
edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Whenever I click on any links I get a 1 second white flash before I arrive to the next page.

This didn't happen before, it's a new thing. It's pretty annoying and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Vanilla Version: 2.0.18.8
Theme: Dark Mist

Comments

• Options

I've had this across all websites. I think it relates to the latest Google Chrome update. Is that the browser you're using?

• Options

Yes, it mainly happens in Chrome. Firefox is not an exception though, as it sometimes occurs there too.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Browsers render a blank window before any content is loaded, no?

Open your Dev tools and check out the timing on your network tab. It may just be a slow host.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. jquery.js?v=2.0.18.8:17

• Options

27 requests | 13.6KB transferred | 1.18s (load: 754ms, DomContentLoaded: 754ms)

• Options

16022.8 days after second refresh

• Options

If you are viewing the site with a clean cache, you will see white up to 1.18 seconds. You should only see it for about 754ms the first time you view the site. Subsequent clicks should show up much faster.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Yeah, so how do I go about lowering that value to something that isn't so annoying?

• Options

Wow! Enabled 'Page Speed' plugin and it's working now, let's see for how long.

• Options

Optimize the bandwidth path, increase server resources, reduce page load requests. Pretty standard web dev tasks. You can click on the audits tab of your developer tools in Chrome for more specific information.

Search first

• Options

I used chrome's dev tools and found a ton of issues that need fixing. Where do I learn how to plug all those performance leaks? Should I just edit every page manually?

• Options
    TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

We run our forum on a dedi and use Google's mod_pagespeed in order to boost page speed. From our current tests we don't seem to have any issues with vanilla, though I discourage anyone who cannot debug a web server (or has anyone on hand to do so) from using this module. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I'm pretty much lost. :(

• Options
    xValxVal New
    edited November 2013

Could someone at least point me in the right direction? Any resources/learning material would be very appreciated. How do I get better at this and where do I start?

• Options

Search first

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@xVal

Check with your host to see if they support CloudFlare, which is a free CDN.

It helped me to significantly lower page load speeds.

• Options

@whu606 Yes, I've enabled CloudFlare but no change whatsoever.

• Options

I reinstalled a fresh Vanilla 2.0.18.8, so no plugins, default theme.. guess what.. the flash is still there! Why? I'm going crazy.

• Options

I've optimized it by enabling output compression (Content-Encoding: gzip) in .htaccess and nothing has changed. pff

• Options

Installed phpBB & SMF and there are no issues whatsoever. It only happens with Vanilla. I don't get it, really. Can anyone help?