Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Permissions

edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello,

Recently I noticed that people not logged into the site couldn't view the forum posts or view profiles. I've tried assigning the guest role to guests however, it just reverts back to the way it was before and displays this message: http://prntscr.com/24sviu

It is unknown to me why this is happening. I am using Vanilla version 2.0.18.8 and you can find an example of a profile page here: http://www.dancraft.net/profile/danstoogood

The config.php file is completely writable (CHMOD 777).

Can anyone help resolve this issue and allow guests to view forums threads and profile pages?

The permissions for the user "guest" are as follows:

Kind regards,
Dan.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Permissions are stored in the database, so it shouldn't be a configuration file access issue.

Did you set up the default roles via the link in that error?

Did you import data or use a fresh install?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited November 2013

This is from a fresh install, as far as I remember.

Here are some images from the database:

GDN_Role:

GDN_Permission:

I can provide more information if requested.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited November 2013

Welcome back, @DansTooGood.

Would you take a screenshot of the entire "edit page" of the GDN_Permission row with the PermissionID of 2 please?

Also, do you have any plugins enabled, such as Force Guest Sign In or ForceRedirect, that might be causing the problem?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Here it is:

• I believe the role isn't actually being assigned to guests, it seems as if they have no permissions at all, it tells me this in my dashboard:

When trying to assign the default role to guest, it just reverts back to nothing.

Where is this information stored? I feel it may not have the correct permissions.

• After investigating further into this issue. It seems the forums are reverting the config.php file back to CHMOD 775 before it can set guest back to the default role.

How can I resolve this issue?

Thanks for the help so far.

• After investigating further into this issue. It seems the forums are reverting the config.php file back to CHMOD 775

but is the config updating - that is the question. it should have an update and by who at the bottom of the file

make sure the owner of the file config.php is the same as your process

if you are on linux

create a test file called testowner.php

<?php system("id");?> 

then run it - that will give you the owner and group.

owner and/or group must match config.php
    and the conf folder should also have correct owner

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I get this result:

uid=33(www-data) gid=33(www-data) groups=33(www-data)

• It says this at the bottom of the file:

// Last edited by DansTooGood (31.220.12.202)2013-11-18 18:33:29

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

you can remove the last edited line with your ip address. from message above. so it is not publiclly viewable if that matters at al.

it appears it is updating when you make changes.

so the config file permissions are fine and everything writes to it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• your permissions in dashboard also look fine from image you posted.

what plugins do you have enabled?

• I tried a default config which worked with a test forum and this had the same issue displaying to guests.

I am 99.99% sure it is a database issue now. Sorry for misleading you with the config file, just thought it could be a possibility.

• try logging in as admin and run utlility/update

then follow these steps.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

• Could any of this be causing the issue?

Will run that in the morning, about to head off to bed.

• do you want to block viewing of some categories to anyone, if not.

make a backup of permission table first.

I think permission id 8 row should be

8 0 Category PermissionCategoryID NULL

you might want to delete the records that don't appear in this table and then look in your dashboard and check things out as far as roles.

PermissionID RoleID JunctionTable JunctionColumn JunctionID
    1 0 NULL NULL NULL
    2 2 NULL NULL NULL
    3 3 NULL NULL NULL
    4 4 NULL NULL NULL
    5 8 NULL NULL NULL
    6 32 NULL NULL NULL
    7 16 NULL NULL NULL
    8 0 Category PermissionCategoryID NULL
    9 2 Category PermissionCategoryID -1
    10 4 Category PermissionCategoryID -1
    11 8 Category PermissionCategoryID -1
    12 32 Category PermissionCategoryID -1
    13 16 Category PermissionCategoryID -1

• @DansTooGood

if you disabled all your plugins and still have problem.

Instuructions to Fix....

here is what you can do in vanilla 2.0.18.8

1) You only have one extra column in table beyond the default - the flagging

2) disable the flagging plugin and the other plugins.

3) back up your permissions and role tables or whole database (in case you need to go back)

4) go into phpmyadmin

5) go to the vanilla database (whatevername you called it)

• i will use a database called "Vanilla" in this example.

6) truncate (empty the permissions table and the role table).
    there will be no records in them and the forum will be inaccessible.
    only these TWO tables not the database or any other tables.

7) upload the 2 tables I posted.

8) make sure the table names (GDN_Role) inside the two files match the table names in your database.
    e.g. if your table name for permissions is XYZ_Role you would need to edit the two sql tables i am attaching.

9) import the two tables into you database via phpmyadmin.

10) login and run /utility/structure from the dashboard.

11) now go into the dashboard and enable the flagging plugin.

12) review your permissions.

13 create yourself a new account as a member and use that as a test to see what members role look like.

14) log out and see if things are working correctly for guests.

15 login as your test member and see if things are working correctly for the loggin test user.

16) if it works correctly (back up your database again and copy your config.php to your local computer (to use as a base point should things go wrong in the future.)

the two tables attached are from a pristine newly created vanilla 2.0.18.8 database

good luck! it shoudl work however.

• Thanks. I followed the tutorial and the problem persists. Any ideas?

• I have a "custom" registration which modifies the GDN_User and GDN_UserRole table, could this be causing any issues?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@DansTooGood said:
    I have a "custom" registration which modifies the GDN_User and GDN_UserRole table, could this be causing any issues?

peregrine said:
    try logging in as admin and run utlility/update

then follow these steps.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

Thanks. I followed the tutorial and the problem persists. Any ideas?

yes follow the steps!

so you mean you didn't follow the steps outlined? or going to default theme, recopying core files, disabling plugins, and removing customizations :) no wonder you can't solve the issue. :)

what do you mean "custom".

well remove it. and see.

I guess you didn't stick around to see if you got a response to your reply. not the easiest way to get help.