Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Export from 2.0.8.18 Import to 2.1 (latest clone) no image attachments

I tried doing an actual upgrade from 2.0.8.18 to 2.1b2 and got errors which I didn't want to deal with :P

So, I tried installing 2.1b2, adding the FileUpload extension and giving appropriate user permissions... and importing the 2.0.8.18 export. The result looked great, but there are no image attachments visible.

The attachments were indeed present in the export, and appear correctly in the 2.1b2 GDN_media table.

Maybe this is an issue with FileUpload vs. 2.1? Any thoughts? Am I supposed to post this in the github bug tracker?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hmmm... just noticed that the permissions for Plugins > Attachments > Upload / Download are not "sticking".

If I set them and save them... then check the perms for that role, they are back to default (unchecked). Seems that a user would still be able to view the attachments though.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I had this problem at one point. I believe I ended up nuking replacing the permissions table with that from a fresh 2.1 install.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ahhh... yes, resetting the permissions table did indeed fix the fact that permission changed didn't stick, thanks!

But, I still get no attachments... you didn't happen to have that problem as well did you?

TIA

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

It sounds like you have multiple issues? not viewing attachment thumbnails and not being able to set permissions via dashboard.

do you have the correct permissions on all of your file folders? config.php, etc.

did you also verify the attachments are in the

/uploads/FileUpload

folder and does

/uploads/FileUpload

have the correct owner and folder permissions. The owner of the uploads/FileUpload must have correct permission. What are your permissions?

can you look in firebug - to see if the attachments may be invisible due to inablility to read the attachment image.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• post a screenshot with firebug with one of the places where you have an attachment.

if the img line is dimmed out - it means it either can't locate the file because permissions are bad or the file cannnot be found.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• moensmoens New
    edited November 2013

Multiple issues, I agree... I initially thought they were related, but having fixed the perms issue with hgtonight's advice, I see the attachments issue is separate.

So, when I view a thread that should have images, the entire DIV class="Attachments" is missing in the 2.1b2 version of the forum.

Permissions are 755 or 766 on all folders and files in the structure...

• try creating a new discussion on your own 2.1b2 forum.

then try to add and attachment.

to narrow down whether it is a problem with exported items versus new attached items.

as a minor etiquette issue...

I initially thought they were related, but having fixed the perms issue with hgtonight's advice, I see the attachments issue is separate.

cool that is what the reactions for awesome or insightful for, the idea is to click on people who provided some useful help. so a click on hgtonight comment.

• OK... so, no... I cannot even upload an image in the 2.1b2 forum. This is probably a separate error as well :)

Now I am getting the evil FileUpload-never-ends issue with the json response below[1]. The file uploads fine, and I can even call it directly from the uploads/FileUpload/ directory... it seems that I just don't get a proper [something] to finish a js closure. $DATA and $InformMessage are probably not supposed to be empty, methinks...

[1]
    {"MediaResponse":{"Status":"success","MediaID":"1249","Filename":"1.jpg","Filesize":1054463,"FormatFilesize":"1M","ProgressKey":"1384802114315_UploadAttachment_3","PreviewImageLocation":"\/utility\/thumbnail\/FileUpload\/b3\/5b31b1183919d1e34959c90d06f7ea.jpg","FinalImageLocation":"http:\/\/f.[DOMAIN].com\/uploads\/FileUpload\/b3\/5b31b1183919d1e34959c90d06f7ea.jpg"},"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"VIEW","Data":"","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yeah... I tried all the default themes. All of them include the foot asset. None of them give me any joy... as I mentioned, I feel its something missing in the JSON response. Still hacking...

• @peregrine, thanks for your persistence in this thread

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

what version of the fileupload plugin are you using? And please post your new question under
    fileupload plugin specifying your vanilla version and version of fileupload plugin. and stick to one issue upload new images. try the lates fileupload plugin in github.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/fileupload-plugin

if you post a new question in the addons section, as stated above I might pursue. but this discussion has meandered off to a different issue than title suggests.

• heh... test for firebug data... what follows is the JSON response from this post:

HeadersPostResponseHTMLJSONCacheCookies

{"MediaResponse":{"Status":"success","MediaID":"1423","Filename":"IMG_7413-3.JPG","Filesize":256468,"FormatFilesize":"250.5K","ProgressKey":"","Thumbnail":"PGltZyBzcmM9Imh0dHA6Ly92YW5pbGxhZm9ydW1zLm9yZy91dGlsaXR5L3RodW1ibmFpbC8xNDIzL35jZi9GaWxlVXBsb2FkLzc1L2JhMTg4MGNjODg0NWUyZWZkYjQ2YWNkMDkxOTFhMS5qcGciIGNsYXNzPSJJbWFnZVRodW1ibmFpbCIgLz4=","FinalImageLocation":"http:\/\/cdn.vanillaforums.com\/www.vanillaforums.org\/FileUpload\/75\/ba1880cc8845e2efdb46acd09191a1.jpg","Parsed":{"Name":"FileUpload\/75\/ba1880cc8845e2efdb46acd09191a1.jpg","Type":"cf","SaveName":"~cf\/FileUpload\/75\/ba1880cc8845e2efdb46acd09191a1.jpg","SaveFormat":"~cf\/%s","Url":"http:\/\/cdn.vanillaforums.com\/www.vanillaforums.org\/FileUpload\/75\/ba1880cc8845e2efdb46acd09191a1.jpg"}}}

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• tl;dr -> Use FileUpload v1.7.1 for Vanilla 2.1b2

OK, sorry for the massive rabbit trail... but the issues were indeed related.

cloned down the Addons, reverted to the commit (Aug24, 2013) which resulted in 1.7.1 of the FileUpload (compatible with 2.1a+)...

...and, voila. It all worked nicely. All attachments from the import display beautifully, and new uploads work.

Thanks to @Peregrine for this comment, "...latest FileUpload plugin in github."