Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A few questions regarding custom themeing and custom pages*

lowielowie New
edited November 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi guys,

I'm new to vanilla forums (but a php dev for quite a while) and I'm creating a custom theme for a client of mine (I'm using 2.0.18.4). I have a few questions, and I apologise in advance if they are answered elsewhere in the forum. I'm not 100% sure what to ask or whether what I'm finding is the best answers.

1. I want users to be able to upload a profile picture/avatar during the signup process. The default registration doesn't have a field to upload an image (unless I'm missing something). Is this a config option or do I need to install a plugin to enable this? If it's a plugin, which plugin is best?

2. I want to implement a custom homepage (not the discussions page). The html for the page I'll be implementing is up at http://uicoding.com/staging/arthritis-forum/index.html. First thing, how do I create a new page? Ideally the manual method for this would be appreciated. I'm assuming create a route, create a controller and then create the views... but if there's a quicker way I'd love to hear it. I've seen that there are a couple of plugins that can create pages but I wasn't sure if they'd give me the flexibility to completely customise what appears on the page.

3. This question is something I'm sure I can search for so it's only out of interest. On the homepage I have top picks, latest, hot topics, most viewed etc. Would you use plugins for these and then customise how they look, or would you recommend that I build the logic for them myself (assuming I have my own controller for the hompage)?

Any help would be much appreciated and would kickstart me in the right direction :).

Cheers,
Chris

Comments

• @lowie said:
    I'm creating a custom theme for a client of mine (I'm using 2.0.18.4).

When you have everything up and running, please update to 2.0.18.8

It's only files that changed between those versions, not database changes (luckily)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

1. I can't think of a way to do this without overriding the registration views and hooking in with a plugin. None exist currently that do this IIRC.

2. I highly suggest you use the custom pages plugin. It is highly customizable and essentially lets you run arbitrary php code within the framework.

3. Go with a plugin. Plugins in garden are first class citizens and don't have much overhead. You will want to create modules that hook into Vanilla.

Good luck! Use the addons repository for a source of examples.

P.S I wrote a plugin called Latest Post List t that lists discussions sorted by date in the side panel. /shameless plug

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hi @hgtonight... thanks for the response. I'll get the custom pages plugin and see how I go. I'm sure I'll be able to put your plugin to good use ;)

@UnderDog Thanks mate... is it mostly bug fixes or feature additions?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The patch is only bugfixes, IIRC. You need to update for security reasons.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ok... good to know. I'll update once I have it running.

• you actually should update to 2.0.18.9 now.

grep is your friend.