Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Captcha Issues

I have had multiple reports of re-captcha not working for users. Using the latest vanilla and my own theme. It works for me in IE, FF and Chrome. Have other admins run into this issue?

Comments

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2013

Did you read the last response to the previous post of the exact same question?

The capacha is just a standard reCaptcha. It could be anything, from styling conflicts to network traffic.

But as you have provided no information as to how it is not working, how do you expect get help? Did you search the forum?

Instead of asking a question that is clutching at straws, provide information on what is the exact problem these users are experiencing.

grep is your friend.

• Options

x00, I actually find you really rude. Yes, I read your post and I have done searches on this forum and on the net. People ask a question to the community for insight from other admins. My question is a direct question. When people like you jump all over my case and provide no real help or insight, it hurts the forum.

The captcha has issues and asking what other admins have noticed for issues when users enter the code should be a completely legitimate question. If I had a code issue or something I could duplicate, my question would be different. Now back to my question...

Have other admins noticed issues with the captcha when it works fine for you and many other users?

• Options

@BeeZe455 said:
    x00, I actually find you really rude.

No it's not. If x00 wouldn't have said it, I would have said something about it.

You don't have the problems yourself, so you're posting on behalf of your users ...

Post details, details, details.

Which browser, browser cache cleared, etcetera.

Right now all you're saying is "He guys, my car steers to the left, has anyone experienced similar issues? Oh and I have searched on the internet" ...

Without details and nice responses from you, your topics keep getting closed to prevent angry answers to angry posts

So ... Vanilla version number and if you switch back to default theme, do the repirts go away ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There was no call for technical advice, just for sharing experiences. So I see nothing wrong with that question.
    (I also think that this will not lead to a solution, but that might not be the intention of the question)

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2013

At the end of the day this is a help forum answered by volunteers, if you want help then you have to be helpful in your question. People are not going to spend a lot of item trying to get blood out of a stone.

I'm also one of the only persons to respond offering help. A post like this could be completely ignored, becuase from the little information provided, people could have no clue what you are on about and don't fancy guesswork.

I think sometimes people ask question, when they already think they know know the answer. As in believing that lots of people are experiencing the same issue and just need someone to say yes.

I'm perplexed why if you have read my first response, you still post nearly an identical question, with no further information?

If you are as R_J said not interested in a solution, then fair enough but at least make clearer what you want. i.e. "I'm not seeking a solution I only want to know if others are experiencing any kind of non-function of the reCaptcha"

grep is your friend.

• Options

The captcha has issues and asking what other admins have noticed for issues when users enter the code should be a completely legitimate question. If I had a code issue or something I could duplicate, my question would be different. Now back to my question...

This isn't exactly what you asked. You asked if any admins had run into "this issue". My response is "what issue?"

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I have not run into any issues with recaptcha throwing users out. Spammers periodically find a way around it, but it gets updated automatically.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

I have had a bunch of spammers get through, but that is to be expected. I have found akismet to really cut down on the spam. Just put the bot question on too. I may build a registration plugin to combat a few things.

I have a good relationship with my users and have heard multiple times that the captcha "wont work". Before I removed captcha I was having them do it on their phone amd that worked. My users are not computer people, so downloading different browsers, clearing cache and asking them a ton of questions is not fair. I am just happy my users contacted me via another forum to report these issues.

I found others reporting that same type of issues, but nothing mentioned a fix. I guess adblocker and firefox with the site blocked will cause the problem. You need to manually enter the site from what I understand though.

• Options

Thing is, it s all very well that they are not computer literate, but unless you know what is happening in their case it would be very difficult to say what went wrong.

I personally like this project:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/asirra/

I presume the capacha didn't go through? In which case it can be input error, or problems at google. Or perhaps a network error. There isn't a huge amount you can beyond your server.

These thing can be a pain, and for those who have difficultly imputing somethign that is not that clearly printed for obvious reasons, it is goign to be one of life’s pains.

I would still check that your theme, is not making it difficult to input in some browser an platforms. That is often a problem, be it registration or a simple contact form. it could be css, or it could be malformed html, which mean it would be handled differently based on the rendering engine.

grep is your friend.

• Options

The most information I have been able to get is that everybody I have been able to get an answer from was using Firefox. I wish I could get more info.

On a side note, I have it disabled and am getting no spam with the bot question and I was getting a decent amount with the captcha.

• Options

@BeeZe455 said:
    The most information I have been able to get is that everybody I have been able to get an answer from was using Firefox. I wish I could get more info.

On a side note, I have it disabled and am getting no spam with the bot question and I was getting a decent amount with the captcha.

This may be adequate fro now, until a human updates their spamming software. If you change the question regularly.

If the problem is in firefox I would suggest it is to do with styling markup issues. Solving these issues may solve further issues.

grep is your friend.

• Options

I actually think it has to do with a few plugins in firefox. Can you explain why you think it is a style issue? If you can see it and submit, what could my syle be doing?

• Options

@BeeZe455 said:
    I actually think it has to do with a few plugins in firefox. Can you explain why you think it is a style issue? If you can see it and submit, what could my syle be doing?

Just based on the description you have given me which is little, it is pure guesswork like I have already said. if it was to do with plugin, then check on the google boards chances are someone else has reported it.

You never mentioned about submitting or viewing, I asked you for a description, and you basically said "didn't work". What to do?

Can you not see how these kind of post are are frustrating for those that would want to help?

grep is your friend.