HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

HTTP Requests is insane

edited December 2013 in Feedback

Looking at the source code... 12 CSS file requests and 12 JS file requests... wow. Can they not be grouped together, does it really need a file request for 4 lines of CSS code in the file. Surely it makes more sense to add this to the core CSS files/JS files?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited December 2013

@ChrisGwynne

You don't say which version of Vanilla you are looking at, or which, if any, plugins are enabled.

I think the devs have made changes re: this between 2.0 and 2.1 (still in beta).

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

The amount of requests may seem large. This is due to the modular nature of Vanilla. Most addons load their own CSS and JS files.

There are different techniques you can do to reduce the number of requests if it is important to you. Consolidating CSS is quite simple and there is a plugin called Consolidate that does just that.

Consolidating JS is a bit more difficult. It is still possible to do it automatically with a plugin called Minify, but I personally suggest you stay away from it. There is always the option to manually combine the files or use some type of a preprocessing script.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@ChrisGwynne: Its not the best way, but i tend to delete the CSS-files of the plugins and insert their styles (which is customize mostly) on the bottom of my custom.css.

The requests of the CSS files are only made, when there is a file in the plugins folder. So this is an issue you can easily solve. With all the other plugins in the addons repository i had problems.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla