HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Paypal

TrentTrent New
edited May 2013 in Feedback

This

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

...is not a question.

What version of Vanilla are you running?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Paypal doesn't use Merchant IDs anymore and the current version of the application requests them and refuses to accept email addresses.

Can't add Paypal as a portal and that's sort of frustrating. Sad to see Vanilla didn't have some better developed and upkept marketplace plugins =(

• @MisterBuilder said:
    Paypal doesn't use Merchant IDs anymore and the current version of the application requests them and refuses to accept email addresses.

Can't add Paypal as a portal and that's sort of frustrating. Sad to see Vanilla didn't have some better developed and upkept marketplace plugins =(

you should design one and pay a developer to do it if you don't have the skills.
    Then upload it to the add-on section, as all the other people have done.
    sad to see people wanting stuff developed on the backs of volunteers who don't get paid unless someone makes a donation or pledges a contribution for a desired plugin.

there will always be a sad day when something is not available that one might want, especially when they don't put hours of sweat into writing it or paying for it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited December 2013

I never said I just wanted some mass of voluntary work. I said it was sad to see that there wasn't a newer and more upkept version, because I love this backend and system. I have enjoyed using it in place of Invision, and I was really excited to hook up the Marketplace feature. I haven't the time nor the cash to develop this myself as I'm currently incredibly ill, and trying to start up a company.

I am aware that the work is voluntary, and honestly I was happy to see a functional marketplace tool, but it is also unfortunate to see it fall behind the payment gateways that it supports. I don't know how long ago this change was made, so I don't even know for certain how long this method hasn't worked or if there is even intent for a fix. I posted here to clarify for the above response and to try and help get some answers for myself and other users of the plugin.

If every time anyone ever needed a plugin they just developed their own, we wouldn't have a list of addons to use and people would have to reinvent the wheel over and over again.

Thanks for the assumptions about my intentions and all, though =).

• points taken.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

Marketplace is not an has never been voluntary effort. I'm not associated with the vanilla team. You can use it as is.

I'm sorry you are ill.

If you are in the UK, US, Canada, or Europe or have an bank account in those countries, I would recommend stripe. it will save a lot of hair pulling and fees.

MerchantIDs work just fine. Best way is to upgrade you account to Premier (which doesn't costs anything):

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=12447&m=SRE

And view it here

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view

If you have a question just ask.

grep is your friend.

• Paypal is a mass of different systems, with little consistency which even their own staff don't understand.

I needed to setup recurring payment for a client with using their direct payment API (NVP).

Their staff tried 5-6 times and failed. They got it in the end, but you would think they would know their own systems. Any other payment service they would be no setup involved, it would just be automatic.

grep is your friend.

• Ah, see I called Paypal and they told me that the merchant IDs no longer work. I'm glad to see that they are still working and thank you very much for your help, as we are quite excited to utilize the Marketplace (though not for a while still) to assist in digital distribution of our games =). Thanks for your help x00!

According to the help info, you need a US Bank account to handle Stripe? Is this no longer correct? (IE they have expanded since).

• Sorry, on my previous comment I followed your link, my account is already a business account not sure if this makes a difference. I cannot find an option to upgrade to Premiere anywhere on the website even after following the first link you provided?

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

@MisterBuilder said:
    According to the help info, you need a US Bank account to handle Stripe? Is this no longer correct? (IE they have expanded since).

Correct. Though not all countries.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

@MisterBuilder said:
    Sorry, on my previous comment I followed your link, my account is already a business account not sure if this makes a difference. I cannot find an option to upgrade to Premiere anywhere on the website even after following the first link you provided?

Try it and see. A business account should be fine.

You should find it here

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view

grep is your friend.

• Btw you can use your paypal email (manual setting) but I wouldn't advise it. The form is parsable by spam bots.

grep is your friend.

• That's good to know, I tried using my email and it feeds me an error telling me that it can't accept that ID. However that link did correctly work and I got hold of my merchant ID. I'm thankful for the help, will definitely donate in the future if and when I have the funds available!

I see you have a Do not PM you message, do you know anyone currently taking on clients for design? We are looking for someone well versed in Vanilla and proper custom development work would be well worth a financial investment, if we can find someone reliable for it.

Thanks again for all your help x00!

• If anyone has a fix for this let me know.

• @MisterBuilder Do you have a link to somewhere that confirms PayPal have deprecated Merchant IDs? That's the first I've heard of it.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

@fivestarredflag said:
    If anyone has a fix for this let me know.

A fix is not necessary, like I said, merchant ID works and I provided a link where you will find it.

Email accounts aren't supported and won't be supported.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    Email accounts aren't supported and won't be supported.

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried it, during the checkout it still leads to an error.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

what is the error?

grep is your friend.