Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum disappeared overnight "Page Not Found" is displayed now

My forum that I've been working on for a few hours over the past couple days has vanished for no apparent reason. I set it up originally and it seemed to be working fine, the last thing I did was add 'Facebook' login that looked like it worked fine yesterday afternoon, now today I go to log in to the forum and I find this "Page Not Found" as of 12/3/13: (any clue why this would happen)

forum location:

http://forum.hamiltonhistorical.com

The forum installed is the latest version: 2.0.18.9

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like your default controller got messed up. I am, for example, able to access the signin page (http://forum.hamiltonhistorical.com/index.php?p=/entry/signin).

Assuming you didn't make any core modifications, the problem is probably due to a misconfiguration. Please post the contents of your /conf/config.php file here. You will want to remove the database configuration information and any other sensitive information.

P.S. Once it is pasted in your comment box. Select it all and use the paragraph button to format it as code.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited December 2013

Here is my Config.php file (with sensitive data appearing as "#" Thanks very much for the assistance.

snip

• @HamiltonWebsite said:
    Here is my Config.php file (with sensitive data appearing as "#" Thanks very much for the assistance.

grep is your friend.

I would remove the lines $Configuration['Routes']['DefaultController'] = 'a:2:{i:0;s:11:"discussions";i:1;s:8:"Internal";}'; and $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Facebook'] = TRUE;.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks for making that code a lot easier to read.

I did remove the two files that were suggested to be removed, with no improvement. Still reading 'Page Not Found' ..... :(

• The strangest thing about this, is like I said, it was working fine after I installed the Facebook sign in plugin, then the following morning, it reads 'Page Not Found' .... maybe a reinstall is what I'll try next.

Before you reinstall, I suggest you disable the plugins one by one (except HtmLawed) and figuring out which one (if any) are giving you issues.

You can disable them by editing the config file. Just remove each line that says $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['PluginName'] = TRUE;.

Search first

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

snip...

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@HamiltonWebsite

here is your problem... _if you really posted the info correctly in your config.
    _

you do not appear to have any applications enabled in your config. Although your error message is odd if those apps are not enabled.

Always a good idea to make a backup of your last working config.php, for later comparison if things go awry.

// EnabledApplications

should be:

// EnabledApplications
    $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Vanilla'] = 'vanilla';
    $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Conversations'] = 'conversations';

this may be useful also if you actually do have the applications enabled.

do as hgtonight suggests disabling plugins and more info here.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Curious that you say all plugins should have the = true;

My very first one says: $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

But, yes I am going to disable all of the plugins and see what happens.

• Don't forget:

// EnabledApplications

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Removed all plugins, still the same situation.

• edited December 2013

Removed plugins then

Added

// EnabledApplications

Everything went screwy....

• Correction, now it's back up and running! :)

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited December 2013

Looks like the main problem is fixed now.

If you find that the formatting in some of your posts are not like they used to be, then you should back in this config setting:

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

You still are leaving important stuff out

did you enable the applications.

Curious that you say all plugins should have the = true;

that's not what was said or if it was, the gist of it is

if you remove the lines that start with

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']

it will effectively disable the plugin

if its says FALSE after the = it will also be disabled

if it says TRUE after the = sign it is enabled.

leave this one be in your config.php
    $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed'; // never remove this.

it is enabled and is special to prevent people from taking over your site. don't touch it and make sure the is in your config.php

so your goal is to disable all plugins EXCEPT 'HtmLawed' leave it as above.

you can disable through the dashboard or via config.php by removing the line or setting to FALSE.

• @Shadowdare said:
    Looks like the main problem is fixed now.

If you find that the formatting in some of your posts are not like they used to be, then you should back in this config setting:

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

Put this back in the plugins and as you said, it corrected some html laced commenting, great and thanks very much, it must have been a plugin... I was trying to get some more gingerbread with this forum and it looks like the 'gingerbread man' ended up breaking the forum... :(

• so you probably inadvertently disabled the vanilla application either through the dashboard or config.php

• It looks like everything is functioning now ... standby for a post on the config.php and .htaccess file

• if it works no need to post!