Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Using the Login and authentication from Vanilla on the rest of my site

OennichOennich New
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello there,
I am using Vanilla v2.0.18.9 and I've found a solution to this problem for v2.3a1, but it doesn't work for me.

So basically, I want to know how do I use the login system from my Vanilla forum which is not in a subdomain, but rather example.com/forum on my main site.

A step-by step set of instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Which solution did you find for 2.3a1? Links? Screenshots?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You don't have to use the me module. You could use the guest module.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I'm a little confused,
    I've never done this before, here's what I want to have in my header for every page:

to have a button at the top of the page and if you're logged in it will show your username and when you click on it, it'll take you to your profile page. or, if you're not logged in it will just show a link to a page where you can sign in.

I hope this is the right place to ask this, some example code would be great for this. (The pages are in php)

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited December 2013

There is example code in the discussion that you linked to for embedding the MeModule on your page. The MeModule shows the sign in buttons when not logged in and shows user info and links to the user's profile when logged in. You can also embed the GuestModule.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• x00x00 MVP
    edited December 2013

SSO is when you log on to 2 or more userbases using a single authentication system. That example is simply putting a module different place. I don't see how it is relevant to SSO. if you don't have a separate userbase, then you can simply use this.

There is already documentation on SSO such as jsConnect.

grep is your friend.

• I tagged SSO based on the opening post. I'll take it off

There was an error rendering this rich post.