Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I configure Akismet to start working on Spam?*

sam2desam2de New
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have installed the Akismet on a most recent vanilla, and I put my ApiKey but I have not any changes on the site, there is not new option to mark users or content as a spam, more over there no spam queue anywhere. do I miss any thing? Thanks

Comments

• @sam2de said:
    I have installed the Akismet on a most recent vanilla

And that most recent Vanilla is ... 2.0.18.9? What's the version number? At least you posted under the plugin, so kudos for that. The spammers will most likely automatically be caught.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

IIRC, Akismet only does automatic spam reporting. No user input (other than the content submitted) is required.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks UnderDog, Hgtnight, for your response .. Yes I'm using "2.0.18.9". I found out that I needed to change the permission to show the Moderation setting in the dashboard.. I have got Akismet and StopForumSpam plugins installed. after couple days of using it "StopForumSpam" working very well and it catches a lot of spam , However looks like "Akismet" not catching any of the spam and I still see some spam going through. Any advice. Thanks again.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Double check your API key for akismet to make sure it is right.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• The Akismet plugin wasn't working for me either. I tried both the version 1.0.1b here in the AddOns as well as version 1.0.3 from Github. The plugin activated fine and I knew I was using the correct Akismet API key. I knew the plugin was not working properly because I created a test user with the username specified in the Akismet API documentation and the comments were not blocked by the plugin.

@Todd I started to add some logging to the plugin to see what as going on. (I'm using Vanilla version 2.0.18.10.) I discovered around line 50 where it sets $UserID was returning FALSE. I changed:

$UserID = $this->UserID();

to this:

$Session = Gdn::Session(); $Valid = $Session->IsValid(); $UserID = $Session->UserID;

Then I ran through the test user again and it was properly blocked as spam. I then tried some tests with regular users and they seemed to properly pass through as ham.

• 50sQuiff50sQuiff ✭✭
    edited February 2014

@tflight, $this->UserID() is a function call, which returns the Akismet system user. You need to find out why the Akismet User ID (or the config var that references it) hasn't been created. If the "Akismet" user does exist you could just edit /conf/config.php manually.

• Thanks, @50sQuiff. So my Akismet system user had been created, and I have the UserID for that user. I edited the config to include the UserID value like $Configuration['Plugins']['Akismet']['UserID'] = '12345';