Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Drop in recplacement?

Comments

• meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

ok, filled those in like this:

searchd
    {
        port            = 3306
        log             = /var/log/searchd.log
        query_log       = /var/log/query.log
        pid_file        = /var/log/searchd.pid

Now I get this error:

WARNING: key 'port' is deprecated in /usr/local/etc/sphinx.conf line 237; use 'listen' instead.
    listening on all interfaces, port=3306
    precaching index 'vss_main'
    WARNING: index 'vss_main': preload: failed to open vss_main.sph: No such file or directory; NOT SERVING
    precaching index 'vss_delta'
    WARNING: index 'vss_delta': preload: failed to open vss_delta.sph: No such file or directory; NOT SERVING
    precaching index 'vss_stats'
    WARNING: index 'vss_stats': preload: failed to open vss_stats.sph: No such file or directory; NOT SERVING

I think I need to run the indexer first, I tried that and got this error:

FATAL: failed to open vss_main.spl: Permission denied, will not index. Try --rotate option.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

nice! ok, I found the error in the plugin in relation to the paths not being set. You can either:

1. Run the wizard again to see the file paths populated correctly
    2. Download the small bug fix and disable/re-enable the plugin after you transfer the files over. The wizard should work on your first iteration through it

thanks, the new version created the correct conf file.

But not I'm having some sort of permissions problem when I run the indexer:

FATAL: failed to open vss_main.spl: Permission denied, will not index. Try --rotate option.

Where is vss_mail.spl located? I can set permissions once I know that.

Never mind, I had to run the indexer as sudo and it worked!

Now when I search on the site i get this error:

Query failed: failed to read searchd response (status=2613, ver=11825, len=775108909, read=68). 

Any idea what the problem is now?

edited December 2013

Alright cool. Let me know if you run into any issues with 2.1b. I've been using sphinx v2.0.5. It looks like you are using sphinx v2.1.x....but I don't expect any issues.

Keep in mind that any new content that you add will not show up in any sphinx-related material until you index again. You should index the delta one often and the main one not so often since it may take a long time depending on the size of your site.

Now when I search on the site i get this error:

Ahh....I think it is because the sphinx.api that I package with the plugin is from v2.0.4 and you are using a later installation of sphinx! For now, you should simply copy over the PHP API file that comes with your version of sphinx and copy it over the one that is being used in the plugin.

I'll add this note to the install portion of the readme.

ok, i tried copying the api from my version of sphinx into the sphinx plugin folder, now I get this error when I search:

Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 

edited December 2013

Yes, I would expect that error after looking at what you posted above: listening on all interfaces, port=3306

Your config file should have written the searchd { port = 9312 ... }. It looks like you are trying to connect to a port that searchd is not listening on. Can you go through the wizard one more time and ensure that your generated config file has the port = 9312 under searchd part? If it is, then restart searchd

edited December 2013

ok, i redid the wizard and uploaded the conf file. Now when I run the indexer (as sudo) I get this error:

FATAL: failed to open /var/data/vss_main.spl: No such file or directory, will not index. Try --rotate option.

any ideas? I got it to run before with a different conf file.

edited December 2013

Can you confirm that there are .spl files in/var/data?

Also try stopping sphinx first and then index.

I looked in /usr/local/var/data and there are no files of any kind

@mcu_hq said:

Also try stopping sphinx first and then index.

you mean do this?

searchd --stop

edited December 2013

yea, for me its:

/usr/bin/searchd --stop

Do you still have that original sphinx.conf file that was produced after you installed sphinx? You should always use that one as the input to the wizard in step 2. It gets the default paths from that file. Look to see what path equals under any index in that original config file.

Also, according to your previous post, indexer is looking in /var/data/ and not in your /usr/local/var/data directory

Ok, you were right as something must have been messed up in the conf file so I made sure and started from scratch. I was able to start the indexer and then run searchd. Now, when I search on the site I get this error:

Query failed: connection to mysql.djangobooks.com:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 

edited December 2013

Ok then almost there.

First check to see that under searchd in your config file, that port = 9312. Also, is sphinx running from your localhost? Previously it said:

Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 

Yes, searchd is set for port = 3312 in the conf file

In the current conf file I have the host set for where my database is: mysql.djangobooks.com

I had tried localhost before but it didn't seem to work. I'll try again.

edited December 2013

Change the searchd port to 9312 in the conf file and see if that changes anything.

ok, it worked with localhost!

now I'll test it out....thanks so much for all the help! You're the best...

The search my member doesn't seem to work. If I select a search term and then choose a member in the "Posted by member" field, it still brings up all the results for that term regardless of who posted. Any idea what's wrong?