Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Drop in recplacement?

13»

Comments

• meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

also, I'm still having the issue where the Sphinx plugin causes the quotes not to work.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

Are you talking about the advanced page? If so, some of those options only take effect if the 'Phrase Match' is set to 'Any' or 'All'. The 'Extended' Phrase match gives priority to the input text over any other inputs. I've noticed that users like using the embedded syntax within sphinx to do their queries which are somewhat similar to google's. For example, to do this member search with the extended mode:

@user admin @title "exact match" @body cars honda

This will perform a search that filters all results by the admin user, with a post that includes the phrase 'exact match' in its title as well as the words 'cars' and 'honda' in the body text. The drop-down button on the main results page should reveal text that explains the syntax clearer.

I'm open to suggestions on how to format or interpret the advanced search page. Given the supported sphinx syntax, I've thought about taking it out completely since the search box on the results page gives the user plenty of power to search intelligently.

What side effects are you seeing with the quotes when sphinx is enabled?

Thanks, the search syntax works better that the fields in the advanced page. Whenever I tried to search for posts by a specific user using the advanced page, it didn't really work. But using the search syntax with @user designation worked perfectly.

The problem with quotes and the Sphinx plugin is that when you hit the "Quote" button on a post, it doesn't actually copy the quoted text into the editor.

edited December 2013

After testing the Sphinx plugin for a few days, I've found the following issues when running it with 2.1b2

1. In the Advanced Search Tab, the "Posted by Member" option doesn't work. The search ignores whatever member name you select and just pulls all the results for whatever is in the search field. If I do a search using the @user method it will search by user correctly.
    2. Wildcards with an asterisk don't work. If I search for "book*" it will only retrieve posts with the word "book" and not "bookend," "bookish," etc.
    3. The Sphinx plugin interferes with the Quotes plugin, blocking the quote button's ability to copy the quoted text into the editor.

I hope there's a fix for these issues. Otherwise the plugin is fantastic and I hope to have it operational soon!

Also the topic searches could be improved. If you search using the @topic field you only get results from the discussion which is the 1st post of thread. There doesn't seem to be a way to also search all the comments from the same thread. phpbb had a nice search function that allowed you to search everything within a given thread. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that with Sphinx.

To answer some of your issues:

1. The Advanced Search Page does contain some filters that only take effect if the search method is set to 'Any' or 'All', but not 'Extended'. The reason being is that the extended options gives the user all the power to do the filter inside of the search box. What I'll do instead is get rid of all search options except for 'Extended' and apply the filters anyways. My only issue is that once the search is performed with a member filter option selected, you cannot clear the option until you return to the advanced page again since I stripped the little drop-down advanced search options on the results page to only include hints on how to search using the sphinx syntax.

2. Wildcards should work, you just have to enable it in your config file. See the sphinx docs.

3. I'll have to investigate this.

I'm confused about this @topic search. Do you mean the @title field? Using the @title field will only match against the title of each discussion.

Are you saying that when viewing a single thread, you want to be able to search within that specific thread? The search box currently only searches the 1st post plus comments of everything. It certainly is possible to search within threads, or comments minus the 1st post of the thread, or vice versa.

It is also possible to recreate the advanced search that vanilla has adopted recently on their search page. I prefer using the extended syntax however. Some sites may prefer to use checkboxes and dropdowns though....it all depends. I encourage people to push any enhancements to the github page, especially the UI stuff since I'm not good at that.

edited December 2013

@mcu_hq said:
    To answer some of your issues:

1. The Advanced Search Page does contain some filters that only take effect if the search method is set to 'Any' or 'All', but not 'Extended'.

I made sure the search method was set to any or all and the user search still didn't work. The other fields do, just the user search is not operating correctly.

1. Wildcards should work, you just have to enable it in your config file. See the sphinx docs.

I set enable_star = 1 in my conf file yet it still doesn't work.

1. I'll have to investigate this.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I won't be able to use the plugin till the issue with quotes is resolved.

I'm confused about this @topic search. Do you mean the @title field? Using the @title field will only match against the title of each discussion.

Yes, I did mean @title, sorry.

Are you saying that when viewing a single thread, you want to be able to search within that specific thread? The search box currently only searches the 1st post plus comments of everything. It certainly is possible to search within threads, or comments minus the 1st post of the thread, or vice versa.

Some sort of way to just search a given thread would be great. phpbb had a special search box at the top of each thread which was nice. But that's probably not necessary. An option for searching within a thread in the advanced
    search menu would probably suffice.

It is also possible to recreate the advanced search that vanilla has adopted recently on their search page. I prefer using the extended syntax however. Some sites may prefer to use checkboxes and dropdowns though....it all depends.

My users would definitely prefer some sort of interface. Where is vanilla's recently adopted search page? I haven't seen it.

thanks!

• Where is vanilla's recently adopted search page? I haven't seen it.

lol. ahh but you have. you just didn't see the old search (and be glad you didn't :)).

just click the search box and the down arrow in the search box.

Before you ask it is proprietary and not OS - it tt relies on sphinx.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine thanks! I hadn't clicked the arrow before. That is the type of search I need implemented! Works really well.

@mcu_hq said:

It is also possible to recreate the advanced search that vanilla has adopted recently on their search page. I prefer using the extended syntax however.

I'd like to do that, any advice on how to implement it?

One thing I noticed is that I seem to be missing some mysql tables that should have been created during the install:

GDN_sph_counter
    GDN_sph_stats

There is this in the conf file:

sql_query_pre   = REPLACE INTO vanilla_django_forum.GDN_sph_counter SELECT 1, MAX(c.CommentID +1) FROM 

vanilla_django_forum.GDN_Comment as c
        sql_query       = SELECT (c.CommentID +1 + (SELECT MAX(d.DiscussionID) FROM vanilla_django_forum.GDN_Discussion as d)), 

c.CommentID as docid, 1 as isComment,\

Should I just manually create these tables?

edited December 2013

That's odd. Don't create them manually...they should have been created when u enable the plugin as seen in the setup method in the plugin file (line 681). If they are not there then I would have expected errors or warnings at the very least when u index or visit the adv search page.

An advanced search as seen on here is easy to implement on the backened...everything is already in place. My only grief is the user interface stuff, which is why my version is very minimalist looking. People want the UI changed all the time anyways, so I make my version simple to extend. If someone can create the html & js needed, then it could be done with little time.

@mcu_hq said:
    That's odd. Don't create them manually...they should have been created when u enable the plugin as seen in the setup method in the plugin file (line 681). If they are not there then I would have expected errors or warnings at the very least when u index or visit the adv search page.

I was getting errors for those missing files, but somehow through multiple changes to the conf file I got the indexer to run without them. Regardless, they probably should be there. Any suggestions how to get the plugin to create them? I wonder if there's a permission problem of some sort.

edited December 2013

Never mind, I went through the install process again and it created the the counter and stats files. I'm still having the other issues though. Can't get the search by username working and Sphinx still interferes with the Quotes plugin. If you have any suggestions on how to fix those issues, let me know. thanks and Happy Holidays!

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited December 2013

@meshugy, I've split the posts about the Quotes plugin problem into a new discussion: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25727/sphinxsearch-plugin-conflicts-with-quotes-plugin

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app