Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

remove query string in url

Hello, I am using vanilla 2.0.18.9 and i am wondering how to remove the query string in the url. I tried with .htaccess some things but none of them worked correctly; i get a 500 error or the layout is totally changed (i am using VanillaBootstrap theme)
I also tried with javascript but
And when i look into the source code, i see sources like this:

I noticed that when i did a pagespeed test and it recommended me to remove the query strings...
Can anyone help me with that?

Tagged:

Comments

• jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

Hello, I am using vanilla 2.0.18.9 and i am wondering how to remove the query string in the url. I tried with .htaccess some things but none of them worked correctly; i get a 500 error or the layout is totally changed (i am using VanillaBootstrap theme)
    I also tried with javascript but no results.

And when i look into the source code, i see sources like this:

"/js/library/jquery.js?v=2.0.18.9"

"/js/library/jquery.livequery.js?v=2.0.18.9"

So how can i remove the ?v=

I noticed that when i did a pagespeed test and it recommended me to remove the query strings...
    Can anyone help me with that?
    is there a special way for Vanilla to rewrite rules?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Those are fake query strings that merely force a fresh download of the file when the forum software is updated. This is done in the browser and isn't actually processed on the server side.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• To add on to what @hgtonight said, those JavaScript files do get cached by the browser, so the query strings don't affect performance like without the query strings. When Vanilla and add-ons get updated, the query strings will change so that the browser can see updated code.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• thank you both hgtonight and Shadowdare; i do understand it now