HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

MyAttachments ideas and donation

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited December 2013 in Feedback

Hi everybody,

I think MyAttachments is another great addon from @peregrine to the Vanilla plugins. I would like to collect ideas and donations for possible development, ... at least if there are more people with interest in this plugin. I donated $25 today to say thanx.

Ideas for Development

• Make the attachments aware of category rights (so that users who are not allowed to certain categories won't see images of others users.)
  • "Optional" Possibility to delete the images form the "My Attachments" Tab (maybe with adding of "Image removed" text)
  • Make it more gallery-like by giving a resizing possibility in the backend that will fit the pictures in a certain square or size (200x200). Right now also the name of the picture stretches the DIV very heavily. This can also be achieved by CSS, but maybe providing an easier solution trough setting would be great for some users.
  • Adding localization

@peregrine and everybody: Any other ideas or what do you think about those?

Why is MyAttachment important to a community that uses File Upload? Simply because my users are friends of File Uploads. It's hundred of users uploading very often private pics to my website. Some of them just want to have an overview of what picture they uploaded, from time to time users leave the community and it's their right to have their private pictures removed from the Admins. This makes it far easier to find the right pictures for them and for me. I really gain lifetime through this, probably 365 minutes a year, so thanx. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• @phreak well done, I will also gave him donation when i get appropriate amount from PTC sites

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2013

Make it more gallery-like by giving a resizing possibility in the backend that will fit the pictures in a certain square or size (200x200). Right now also the name of the picture stretches the DIV very heavily.

To arrange the pics better add this to the plugin css

.ImageThumbnail {
    border-radius: 10px;
    width: 150px;
    height: 150px;
    }

div.imagepair {
    display: inline-table;
    width: 28%;
    height: auto;
    margin: 15px;
    padding: 10px;
    -moz-border-radius: 10px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
    box-shadow: 0 0 10px #aaa;
    -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #aaa;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #aaa;
    }

I think the problem may be also that if the name of the image is really long it takes up more space than the pic ...

so adding this forces the size of all pic containers, but the name of the pic cant be broken up to fit if the name contains underscores.

p.imagename{
    width:50px;
    white-space:pre-wrap;
    }

To get rid of the image name , I just used this and then the pics line up nicer. I don't need the image name, it is not a good caption.

p.imagename, p.imagename a {
    display: none;
    }

It would be a great idea to add your tooltip for the discussions index to these pics if it is possible to meld those two. Just thought...

Also note that this plugin only works with images uploaded, not images that you link to the post.
    It would be nice to add those too but I realize that would involve having to save the linked images into db. This plugin should make people want to upload more than link images hopefully.

• thanks for the donation @phreak

Make it more gallery-like by giving a resizing possibility in the backend that will fit the pictures in a certain square or size (200x200). Right now also the name of the picture stretches the DIV very heavily. This can also be achieved by CSS, but maybe providing an easier solution trough setting would be great for some users.

like V says via css.

too many parameters a user might want to change via a settings for widths and heights.

or

div.imagepair { 
        display: inline-block;
        width: auto;
        margin: 10px auto;
        padding-bottom: 32px;
        -moz-border-radius: 2px;
        -webkit-border-radius: 2px;
        box-shadow: 0 0 10px #AAA;
        -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #AAA;
        -webkit-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #AAA;
    }

.ImageThumbnail {
        width: auto;
        height: 150px;
        }
        div.imagepair {
        display: inline-table;
        width: 23%;
        height: auto;
        margin: 15px;
        -moz-border-radius: 10px;
        -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
        box-shadow: 0 0 10px #aaa;
        -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #aaa;
        -webkit-box-shadow: 0 0 10px #aaa;
        }

p.imagename{
        white-space:pre-wrap;
        }

if you don't want distorted thumbnails pics

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited December 2013

I think it would be even better if

• admin could config the sort order with two dropdowns: sort field and sort order (I would prefer upload date, desc.)
    • user could hide an attachment in his list from being shown to others
    • user could filter which filetypes he wants to see in other users galleries

if you don't want distorted thumbnails pics

Yes you can play a little with the thumbnail size but depending on the pic it may push out of the container, the link to post or the name. I use hover zoom so when I hover the image gets bigger anyway to see it better. If there was a way to add the fancy box class to those images, like maybe using jquery to add the fancy box class then the fancy box plugin would work for this too. Or the one hgtonight made.

edited December 2013

user could hide an attachment in his list from being shown to others

You would have to hide the discussion it came from. this plugin fetches the images belonging to a discussion. The id for the image belongs to the discussion it came from. To prevent someone from seeing your attachments you would need to be able to also hide the discussion it came from ... I think..

admin could config the sort order with two dropdowns: sort field and sort order (I would prefer upload date, desc.)

I think one sort order is fine, simply by the comment number. 1-1000. So the first ones come first. It is the natural order in my opinion.

Sorting could be affected by people editing their posts or deleting the discussion.

user could filter which filetypes he wants to see in other users galleries

User can filter that in their browser no?

@peregrine , this is a great plugin :)<3

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

1.) I just thought about how a list of attachments could be simply customized to look like some kind of gallery and only if the user wants to. So I do not want to really hide an attachment, but simply give the option to not show it in this list (for cosmetic reasons)

2.) That's why I thought having the ability to sort would be great: peregrine thought it would be great to see them by alphabet, you would prefer them by oldest first and I by youngest first. Changing the sort field and order in the code would be the simplest thing but having a ui or at least a config parameter

3.) Is there already a filter? I have to admit that I haven't even looked at the source code by now and so I don not know what that great plugin can do and what not. So maybe I'm talking about already existing features... :\ I know it's a shame but my time is very limited at Christmas and I'm almost happy if vacations are over ;)

@peregrine: I still love the idea and the power of that plugin even if you do not change it at all

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@R_J said:

1.) I just thought about how a list of attachments could be simply customized to look like some kind of gallery and only if the user wants to. So I do not want to really hide an attachment, but simply give the option to not show it in this list (for cosmetic reasons)

2.) That's why I thought having the ability to sort would be great: peregrine thought it would be great to see them by alphabet, you would prefer them by oldest first and I by youngest first. Changing the sort field and order in the code would be the simplest thing but having a ui or at least a config parameter

3.) Is there already a filter? I have to admit that I haven't even looked at the source code by now and so I don not know what that great plugin can do and what not. So maybe I'm talking about already existing features... :\ I know it's a shame but my time is very limited at Christmas and I'm almost happy if vacations are over ;)

peregrine: I still love the idea and the power of that plugin even if you do not change it at all

sorting would be the simplest change - I will add something soon.

some of the features you guys suggested, i had thought of as well, as time and pledges permit I will be adding features, especially if there are more interested pledgers and/or more donations.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

I tested deleting a discussion , the image simply disappears from the myattachments list. It would still be in the DB you say?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    I tested deleting a discussion , the image simply disappears from the myattachments list. It would still be in the DB you say?

Actually, I did say something related :), not in db.

Just curious if you create a discussion and a comment and put an image in the comment and a different image in the discussion via attachment (not insertion).

take not of the image urls (folder locations for the two images).

if you delete the comment without deleting attachment - is the image file still in your upload folder?

if you delete the discussion without deleting attachment - is the image file still in your upload folder?

if it is gone in both cases - no worries. if it exists these are orphan files.

Yes the folder that was created to house the uploaded files remains and no pics inside , I need to look through some more but it does seem to leave behind empty folders or a no pic placeholder type thing...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    Yes the folder that was created to house the uploaded files remains and no pics inside , I need to look through some more but it does seem to leave behind empty folders or a no pic placeholder type thing...

Thanks V. then its not really an issue as the folder will get reused. thanks for testing. I had some orphan images and i must have created the problem myself during testing other things.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

added a few new features, with settings options. Also aded "vrijvlinder css option" as the V option in view settings.

which phreak, rj and v :

might be worth an oeillade at the update

might be worth an oeillade at the update

I gave an oeillade then I fusillade this to show my admiration ;)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2013

Thanx @peregrine. Did you implement category permission and localization. Probably needs a little more sponsoring. Will do, anybody else? ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    edited December 2013

Uh sorry, no need to think about locale.

@peregrine: Will you be able to add the role managment into the plugin. So it appears in setting of the Dash were user groups can be allowed to view or not to view the "MyAttachments" tab. Right now everyone can see it publicly.

Also the CSS is a good one. I'd love to see this concept in more plugins if possible. Developed to a certain extend it could help a lot of non-designers to pic up a more fitting theme for their forums. Probably basic and simple design guidelines can be developed alongside the original themes of Vanilla (just take this as an idea for now).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@phreak said:
    Uh sorry, no need to think about locale.

yes. the tab name and message can be changed via definitions.

Probably needs a little more sponsoring. Will do, anybody else? :wink:

I added just about everything you wanted, re: role permissions, respects category permissions, variety of css views, sorting via a variety of types, works in 2.0.18.10 and 2.1

I am not convinced that not displaying certain images (selectable by user) is worth the effort on my part. It somewhat defeats the purpose, easy access to finding attachments. If they are not displayed or hidden by the user, they cannot be easily found in the discussion. But more donations could convince me. anyone thinking of making a donation - do it AFTER Jan 1, 2014 if you can.

peregrine: Will you be able to add the role managment into the plugin. So it appears in setting of the Dash were user groups can be allowed to view or not to view the "MyAttachments" tab. Right now everyone can see it publicly.

yes. done in version 1.4. remember when upgrading to 1.4

• disable the plugin
    • update to version 1.4
    • enable the plugin and then go to roles in dashboard and edit the roles and permissions for a specific role that you want to allow to view MyAttachments profileTab and Myattachment view

Plugins AllowView

MyAttachments x

Also the CSS is a good one. I'd love to see this concept in more plugins if possible. Developed to a certain extend it could help a lot of non-designers to pic up a more fitting theme for their forums. Probably basic and simple design guidelines can be developed alongside the original themes of Vanilla (just take this as an idea for now).

might be useful - a bit more overhead.

• added easy integration with lightbox (fancy box) plugin and more options in settings for click preferences.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

You guys are going to love version 1.8 with super enhancements from one of your favorite moderators - *************** hgtonight **********

why...

because hgtonight sent me many changes for the plugin for improved model - view and sql extraction, added paging and more features, more settings, etc. etc.

see the new description of the plugin and the note: for upgrading and also see the readme.

and I thank you hgtonight form all of us for improving the experience.

edited January 2014

Amazing @hgtonight. @peregrine this was the issue i guess why pictures where not shown. They were restricted because postet in categories who are hidden to the public.

Although, sorry that i'm so annoying. It would be cool to have a rule that allows user who are allowed to see that category to see the this categories uploads too. Right now its forbidden for them even though they are allowed to read discussions in this category.

Also if a picture has a "Restricted Attachment" it's easy to watch it by clicking on it as it loads the picture directly into the browser.