HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A possible FileUpload 2?

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited January 2014 in Feedback

Hi all,

We have 4 plugins that could actually work together in one pretty well.
Now, there are several conflicts between them if used together under 2.0.18.10.

The core plugin FileUpload 1.5.2
(Problem: Uploads have no resizing, especially smartphone photos bloat the server space)

The FancyBox plugin
(Problem: Doesn't work right now from my side, could be updated to Fancybox 2)

PlUpload
(It got the great resize function)

and File Upload Detect
Shows filetype symbols if it's not a graphic or photo

Well yeah, i'm not a decent developer. But maybe others see gain in this or the core team can take up with a FileUpload 2.
What do you say?

dreamingWhileJustPuttingIdeasTogether

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Seems like all you really want is the fancybox plugin to work with File Upload Detect out of the box.

Make it happen @x00 ;)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Jep, i think there are several reason, two important of them.

1.) The current solution really bloats your ~/uploads/FileUpload folder with 3 MP smartphone photos easily. Some people might not have SSH access or a script and a CRON at hand to resize all files inside regularily.

2.) If click in a picture to open it, the full size gets loaded (not very speedy on smartphones) if you then hit return in your browser you land somewhere in the whole discussion (really somewhere in the thread), where users need to start looking around where the comment is where they left of.

Would be great to have a solution for this. Is the FileUpload plugin on the hosted version a different to the one in the addon repository? Wonder that not more clients are asking for this options.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Fancybox plugin works after a couple minor changes to the code. I use it with the galleries plugin.

You can use ControllSize plugin to help with the sizes for mobile etc. It works independently from the upload. It just resizes all the media to fit to any size you want.

Fileupload has resizing which is controlled by the config.php

C('Garden.Upload.MaxFileSize', '1MB')

C('Plugins.FileUpload.ThumbnailHeight', 128);

C('Plugins.FileUpload.ThumbnailWidth', 256);

You can make it so the images only get so big for the mobile and also make it open in another window so you just hit back to go back to the comment.

• As V says - you just have to set things up properly.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• to make fancybox with attachments in 1.5.2

plugins/FileUpload/views

from

<div class="Attachment">
                       <div class="FilePreview">
                          <?php
                          $Path = GetValue('Path', $Media);
                          $Img = '';

if ($CanDownload) {
                             $DownloadUrl = Url(MediaModel::Url($Media));
                             $Img = '<a href="'.$DownloadUrl.'">';
                          }

change to

<div class="Attachment">
                       <div class="FilePreview">
                          <?php
                          $Path = GetValue('Path', $Media);
                          $Img = '';

if ($CanDownload) {
                             $DownloadUrl = Url(MediaModel::Url($Media));
                              $Img = '<a href="'.$DownloadUrl.'">';
                              $type = GetValue('Type', $Media); 
                                if (preg_match("/image/",$type)) {
                                    $Img = '<a class ="fancybox" href="'.$DownloadUrl.'">';                
                                    }
                          }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Also these configs

$Configuration['Garden']['Picture']['MaxHeight'] = 1000;

$Configuration['Garden']['Picture']['MaxWidth'] = 600;

• once you make the changes above for fancybox.

The core plugin FileUpload 1.5.2 (Problem: Uploads have no resizing, especially smartphone photos bloat the server space)

you could remove this line in plugins/FileUpload/views/attach_file.php

<a class="InsertImage Hidden"><?php echo T('Insert Image'); ?></a>

then you don't have users forcing their huge image in your face then a user can click on it if they want a larger view.

• What Vanilla needs is not just a remake of the file upload plugin, but a modern text editor with file uploading capabilities included. Preferably a WYSIWYG text editor. This is one of the main reasons I can't switch to Vanilla. I would pay for such a plugin.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

edited out comment.

@Tudor have you tried the ImageUpload add on? I know it integrates with ButtonBar. May work with Cleditor too.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

modern text editor with file uploading capabilities included.

There is such a thing already \m/

FileUpload works with all the editors available. The only thing missing is drag and drop capability .

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

there are so many plugin and image attaching inline resizing, etc that do work. the issue is everyone wants a different implementation e.g. I want to rotate my images, I want to resize only to a certain size, I want thumbnails, I don't want thumbnails, I want full-size images, I want resized images, i want attachments. They all work fine, as far as i can tell. But everyone wants one plugin that is designed for something else to have the capabilities of the other plugin that does somethng completely different merged into one plugin that would have so many thousands of options that no one could ever figure out how :), let alone the users.

I wish my hammer was a food processor and a swiss army knife. but then it wouldn't be a good hammer.

I wish my hammer was a food processor and a swiss army knife. but then it wouldn't be a good hammer.

The ancient hammer was a food processor ... They were used to pulverize nuts and seeds and to tenderize meat.

Anyway here is something useful they made in ancient times, you can even wear it on your leg

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

The ancient hammer was a food processor ... They were used to pulverize nuts and seeds and to tenderize meat.

I use a sledge hammer (not a carpenter's hammer) to pulverize nuts and seeds and to tenderize meat. but it doesn't have a detachable screwdriver built into the handle.

edited January 2014

Uh, this has gone far away from my intial thought of a better combined FileUpload 2. ;) I think my ideas are not so much a here and there thing. It makes sense to get some of the function together in an more or less official plugin i think. We have now several plugins which is great, but basic functionalities like in any other CMS could really get fetched together in one instead of staying puzzled around.

Also thanx for your tipps @peregrine and @vrijvlinder. But for example max file size via configuration doesn't work usually if you have a community who is even unexperienced that pictures have different file sizes and just complain why it doesn't work. This is something (resizing) a software should do for the user.

Looks at Fancybox. It's great but if you have the quite common "Signatures" plugin activated and people link pictures inside the signature box, it also gets opened with fancybox, and much more... ;)

And yes i know... i can fix these things with a little thought and help here. But people will generally move away from Vanilla when they see the things working so far away from what they need. I'm not arguementing from my perspective...

it also gets opened with fancybox, and much more

You can add some jquery to remove the class fancybox from other images you don't want to pop out. You can modify the jquery in the fancybox plugin to only affect attachment images.

It makes sense to get some of the function together in an more or less official plugin i think

It makes sense to use plugins instead of a one size fits all solution. This way if something breaks , the rest still works. Combining all of these functionalities into one is nothing more than adding them as plugins to the editor or to the fileupload.

The tiny MCE is made of plugins. Plugins within a plugin. You can only fit so much into a plugin before something fails.

Uploading involves more than just posting and saving the images to the server. Images get converted into data then reconverted into images so you can see them.
    It is a complex process. a big process. Uploaders need to be modular so they can be used even when there is no html editor on hand.

But for example max file size via configuration doesn't work usually if you have a community who is even unexperienced that pictures have different file sizes and just complain why it doesn't work

I created ControllSize plugin specifically for this problem. It is software that forces the images and anything embedded to not be bigger than the box it is in . No matter what they upload and post it will remain the size you choose.

This is specially good for mobiles and tablets. You never have to worry about resizing anything posted ever again. And users never need to resize anything either.Even if they use html in their pics to make it bigger . Only smaller will work.

edited January 2014

@vrijvlinder: But ControllSize does just visually resize the images as its done by CSS. The full load does still happen, especially on mobile devices it's not a solution to gain speed. Picture with 3M will stay 3M in size when it comes to client side loading.

I think there is no need to allow 3Megabyte image uploads to start with. In my opinion unless they are being viewed on a jumbotron ...1 megabyte is good. Even 1.5.

The images load fast for me. I use an iPhone. I think it has to do with rendering time. The bigger you want the image that weighs the longer it takes to load.

Yes it calls for the large image if it was inserted of it is inline linked image, But it also I believe matters the size it is rendered as far as loading on the phone.

For example using the phone vertically the images load faster than when used horizontally . At least for me that is how I have noticed . This applies to viewing other sites too.

edited January 2014

@vrijvlinder: Most users have no understanding what filesize they upload. They will be annoyed by a error message like "Error uploading. Please reduce the size of your upload". I tell you most of the people don't even know how to achieve this, besides of that most smartphones have no real image resizing tool as default application. The idea is to remove this challenge from the user at all and keep the server space effectivly used instead of bloating.

This is for sure, picture don't load faster horizontally than vertically. :)

The issue is he needs something that accepts large files, but does some bit crushing before displaying them.

That said, submit a pull request to the fancybox plugin author which excludes signatures. He seems to be responsive about PRs.

Search first