Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Default avatar missing?

Hi all! Quick question, I just noticed that my users default avatar is missing...in fact it appears the script is not even calling for one as the space where the avatar would be is totally missing? Any ideas? If the user uploads an image it will appear just fine...but I would like the default to at least be present until the user decides to upload an image. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Version 2.0.18.10

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The default action for users with no avatars is to return nothing. You can change this by using a plugin that defines the UserPhotoDefaultUrl() function, or define it yourself in your bootstrap file.

Popular plugins that do this are the Gravatar plugin (which should be included in your base Vanilla install) and the Vanillicon plugin.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2014

The default user image is located in dashboard/design/images/usericon.gif

If you enable Gravatar , the default.gif is the one called. Maybe the one in the dashboard can be renamed to default.gif instead of usericon.gif . But one way to see is if it gives a 404 on the default.gif which is what it was called before I think...

• Options

Hmmm...I don't have Gravatar at all in my list of plugins. The default user icon was present at one point recently...I must have deleted the Gravatar plugin that was included on the base install on accident maybe...I just tried to install a gravatar plugin found via Vanilla (not supported) and it does nothing but give fatal errors once uploaded to the plugin folder. Where can I get the gravatar plugin that came with the base install?

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    The default user image is located in dashboard/design/images/usericon.gif

If you enable Gravatar , the default.gif is the one called. Maybe the one in the dashboard can be renamed to default.gif instead of usericon.gif . But one way to see is if it gives a 404 on the default.gif which is what it was called before I think...

Sadly I changing the name doesn't do anything because I don't even have gravatar to enable...

• Options
    edited January 2014

Simply download a new copy of the vanilla core 2.0.18.10 and extract Gravatar from the plugins and upload it to your server then enable it.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core-2.0.18.10

• Options

Very true vrijvlinder, it is the simple things I tend to overlook:-)

• Options
    edited January 2014

I think there is also a $Configuration or should be one for the default user pic. I could swear I saw it somewhere before. Maybe as some other plugin somewhere...else

That would be a cool plugin to be able to upload your own pic in the dashboard to replace the default. I use one on the wordpress installation I made for a client. It is called default avatar. And you can choose some others or use your own.

• Options

That would be a great plugin for sure. I uploaded the base gravatar plugin and enabled it. The default image shows in the activity portion but not in the profile. Not a big deal I guess as long as there is something shown in discussions and activity.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Yes it will not show in the profile, that would be weird no? You can replace the default image with your own in gravatar just call it the same name. In other words create your own default.gif then upload it to overwrite the original with the one you made.

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

All good info! Thank you all! I have it all working and will create a neat avatar and upload as the default just for fun and to be a tad different!

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You can change the default value for the field Photo of the table GDN_User to point to your default avatar. This way all new users would have a default picture. You would have to make an update query though to fill all rows where Photo is null

• Options

@peregrine said:
    I don't know if this will help

yes, I wonder if their knowledge has improved ....nope

I will check that out p , next time please just post the code here to avoid going back there .... the filters for bothersome content and people is not functional yet ....lol

• Options

@cpositive Here is a simple plugin to change the default avatar if you do not have gravatar or the others enabled.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/defaultavatar-plugin