Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Peregrine Badges Inquiry

Hi again, I am at the tale end of customizing my site for launch and have managed to get through a few weeks of code editing without having to ask any questions but I am running into small idiotic snags it appears today. I am using the Peregrine badges plugin and was wondering how to get the plug in to function like the badge layout on this forum? In regards to having the activity feed update when a user hits a milestone and the pop up at the bottom of the screen, etc. Also curious where to see what badges are available and where to edit what the images, functions and how to assign points...basically where to customize the plugin so it appears like the one used on this forum. It is a super great plugin Peregrine!

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

several tips - when asking a question about a specific plugin.

• go to the plugin in question,

• read the entire description,

• read the read me if one is provided.
    • read all discussions posted under the plugin
    • if you still have questions.
    • post your questions about the plugin under the plugin.

• I believe your questions have already been answered. I'm currently writing a step-by step guide to changing php code, but I am not finished yet.

• change images in the images directory. modify code to assign points. see other posts for badges available as far as design. and see the read me an example images for what badges are available.

• as far as activity feed update - that would be on the hosted version. I think you could get that by moving to hosted version and it would look almost like the hosted version. This plugin is "not the same but different" , instead it is "different but different".

• You have 3 or four other options for badge plugins. yaga, awards, hosted, and peregrine badges. And numerous reaction type plugins - peregrine reactions, the ones listed above, and liked, karma, kudos, thankful people, etc. i may have missed a few.

• Glad you liked my plugin - peregrine badges, but the other plugins may better fit your needs. give the others a try.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thank you. I wasn't trying to come off like an idiot. I did read all the info on the plugin page and I also read the readme...I might have asked my questions wrong or to vague maybe. I apologize. I would rather stay with the developer version as it keeps me on my toes. I have not coded for many years so this is a good refresher. Again, thank you very much for the information. I try to not ask a lot of questions but I was just curious if Peregrine badges was similar to what was happening on this forum.

• Options

I think I misunderstood you...are you saying there is a plugin call "hosted" for badges?

• Options

Thank you. I wasn't trying to come off like an idiot.

You did not come off as an idiot.

you weren't but users often ask questions about a specific plugin without going to the plugin to ask the question. then the discussion is in outer space and not linked to the plugin and doesn't help people in the future - because it is harder to find. Which causes people to ask the same questions over and over.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Understood and it makes sense to do so. I will be more careful where I post from now on.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@peregrine said:
    you weren't but users often ask questions about a specific plugin without going to the plugin to ask the question. then the discussion is in outer space and not linked to the plugin and doesn't help people in the future - because it is harder to find. Which causes people to ask the same questions over and over.

I was thinking the same! Without trying to hijack the discussion, I'm still wondering how could it be that 231 people got my badge plugin and yet only 82 downloaded the AFC plugin, which is a requirement for it to work...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@businessdad said:

I was thinking the same! Without trying to hijack the discussion, I'm still wondering how could it be that 231 people got my badge plugin and yet only 82 downloaded the AFC plugin, which is a requirement for it to work...

I was chuckling at that too, when I pmed you after you released it :).

why read the description of the plugin, and the read me, and bother to look at associated discussions related to the plugin?

hmmm.

It's like driving a car to a destination without a map or knowledge where the destination is. I guess you might get there once your random number kicks in.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Just my perspective:

I like to download plugins I have no intention of using merely for reading. I also have downloaded some plugins multiple times on the same computer (usually by accident).

Either way, still irksome. :D

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2014

I like to download plugins that don't work and try to fix them :)

Sadly there is one I put together that needs fixing too lol

• Options
    mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014

I had the same requirement with my Chocolate theme. The actual theme had double the downloads than the required plugin.

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited January 2014

@cpositive to circle back, the "hosted" badges plugin @peregrine was talking about is the one included on the cloud version available at http://vanillaforums.com. This is the one in use on the forum here.