Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

2.1b2: Cannot enable Twitter Social Connect

Hello everyone, I search the forums and Google for an answer but unfortunately I couldn't find one. I have a brand-new installation of Vanilla 2.1b2. I have the default plugins and none of them are enabled.

Whenever trying to enable Twitter Social Connect I get the following error message:

There was an error performing your request. Please try again.

Not sure what the problem is. I had the same issue with the stable version of Vanilla as well. Do I have to do a code edit somewhere? I know Twitter changed their API which now requires SSL/TLS for all connections as of January 14th, 2014. Could this be causing that?

Facebook works well (though I currently have it disabled) and so does Google sign in. OpenID doesn't show at all... Anyway, thank you for your help and I apologize if this has been asked before. Much obliged! :)

Comments

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA
    edited January 2014

Commenting out require_once PATH_LIBRARY.'/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php'; in class.twitter.plugin.php allows me to activate and edit the plugin. However, when a user clicks to sign in via Twitter the pop-up windows shows out blank/white. If I uncomment the code above the whole site become blank/white. Any tips on this?

Edit:
    Disabling Twitter allows me to uncomment the code without breaking the site but sends me to square one. Wat do?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Recent changes to the twitter api need to be accounted for: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/200518#Comment_200518

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Thanks, buddy! I usually sit behind the sidelines and search around but this has now changed as I was unable to find the answer I need. Anyway, I applied the code change but I am still getting the "There was an error performing your request. Please try again." message. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Check your network requests and get the status code, might be helpful.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Thank you for replying, hgtonight. At least I know someone from the team is reading my help request.

Method: GET Result: 500 Type: text/html URL: http://foro.residentemalo.com/entry/twauthorize?Target=/&display=popup

(Request-Line) GET /entry/twauthorize?Target=%2F&display=popup HTTP/1.1
    Host foro.residentemalo.com
    User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
    Accept text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,/;q=0.8
    Accept-Language en-US,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
    DNT 1
    Referer http://foro.residentemalo.com/
    Cookie __utma=58638761.204033073.1389749855.1389749855.1389749855.1; __utmz=58638761.1389749855.1.1.utmcsr=t.co|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/mcnuRRSvhb; __qca=P0-2001985703-1389774495718; Vanilla-tk=92b7ef75e7137523
    Connection keep-alive

To be honest, I'm not really proficient with Vanilla. This is the first time I tried to make a community with it. I hope to fix this so I can move to styling the theme.

Anyway, I suspect the problem has to do with /vendors/oauth/OAuth.php. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

500 status code is an internal server error. (Something went wrong but the server doesn't know what). Check your server logs for more information as to what happened.

The twitter plugin needs oauth to function properly. You can try uploading a fresh copy of the vendors folder and see if that helps.

Search first

edited January 2014

Thanks! I uploaded the vendors folder (2.1) from Github. Here is my error log for the forum:

[19-Jan-2014 20:26:49 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [19-Jan-2014 20:28:14 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [19-Jan-2014 20:34:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [19-Jan-2014 20:35:09 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [19-Jan-2014 20:37:47 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8

[20-Jan-2014 14:12:51 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'public' (T_PUBLIC) in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/StatisticsFooter/default.php on line 21
    [20-Jan-2014 14:12:52 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'public' (T_PUBLIC) in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/StatisticsFooter/default.php on line 21

[20-Jan-2014 18:29:38 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8

[20-Jan-2014 18:37:40 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238

[20-Jan-2014 18:38:31 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [20-Jan-2014 18:38:33 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [20-Jan-2014 20:02:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [20-Jan-2014 22:08:46 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [20-Jan-2014 22:31:50 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [20-Jan-2014 22:32:47 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8
    [20-Jan-2014 22:33:50 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class OAuthException in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/library/vendors/oauth/OAuth.php on line 8

[20-Jan-2014 22:50:52 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:52:58 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:53:21 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:54:03 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:56:58 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:57:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:57:50 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:58:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 22:58:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 23:13:11 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 23:14:42 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [20-Jan-2014 23:15:16 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [21-Jan-2014 00:03:50 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238
    [21-Jan-2014 00:03:54 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'OAuthConsumer' not found in /whatis/thematrix/public_html/foro/plugins/Twitter/class.twitter.plugin.php on line 238

I hope this helps you to help me. :P

Did you still comment out the OAuth require in the twitter plugin?

Search first

Thanks for the quick reply. And yes, I did so I could actually enable the plugin.