Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedded SSO

feucht22feucht22 New
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm finding this documentation very confusing as the code snippet is just for Vanilla comments:
http://vanillaforums.com/blog/jsconnect-technical-documentation-for-embedded-sso/

My embed code looks like this:

And my remote.js file looks nothing like the code snippet in the above documentation. I'm not sure where I should place this **vanilla_sso **string. In remote.js?

It's also not clear which steps from Site-Wide SSO I need to do for Embedded SSO. It's presented as though they're two different processes, but it seems like they're quite interconnected.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

Tagged:

Comments

• Also, if it helps clarify, I'm embedding an entire vanilla forum on my web site, with some extra content on top of the forum. Should I not be using the Embed SSO Instructions, but rather the Site-Wide SSO Instructions?

• I'm looking to use SSO and Embed together as well, but find the documentation, well, lacking. Anyone know any more about this?

• Well, I find the documentation pretty clear: http://vanillaforums.com/blog/help/implementing-jsconnect-single-signon-on/

What exactly do you want to know?

• @HalfCat said:
    Well, I find the documentation pretty clear: http://vanillaforums.com/blog/help/implementing-jsconnect-single-signon-on/

What exactly do you want to know?

@HalfCat I'm in same boat, implemented the "vanilla_sso" object (I think) and its in the <-head->. Now what? It doesn't login automatically so do I need to do something? Or is the SSO string broken?

• Do both signature_string and signature need to be hex encoded? (please choose better names, they're both strings)
    • Is putting the vanilla_sso object in header sufficient, or do we need to call something?
    • Is the login url in jsconnect dashboard settings our own site login?

My setup is the same as @Feucht22; the forum is embedded in a larger site, with existing login system. They sign up through my platform, and I want it to automatically log them into forum. I've done both the Site-Wide and Embedded. Neither seem to login the users automatically..

• An authentication url which outputs the json data has to be specified in jsconnect. The documentation says if you have the authentication url set right, login happens automatically. But what I find is that the json data is not correctly parsed by the jconnect.js which stops connecting at that point.

• jaredNZjaredNZ New
    edited February 2013

@georgegijo said:
    An authentication url which outputs the json data has to be specified in jsconnect.

I think you're talking about Site-Wide SSO, that uses a separate PHP page to generate the string.

We're talking about Embedded SSO which, from my understanding, uses a JS variable which you generate and put into the page. JS Connect should automatically get that JS-variable and log in apparently.

The jsconnect.js doesn't reference "vanilla_sso", and there's no mention of it in any of the forum files :(

• I have the exact same issues listed above. Did anybody ever figure this out?

• Hy i am also trying to get the JsConnect to work but i have the big website in Java, but the steps sems to be the same ... Try to get back to the default theme of the vanila, and create a difrent db just fort test and instal fresh the vanilla ... technicaly. I understand you are using PHP ? just to try and copy the files into you webfolder ... technicly should just work with the "test" information in the "index.php" from there you have to modify ... hope this helps.
    I am killing my self with the Java ... and can not figuer out where to go next ... sry for my bad english.

• sica07sica07 New
    edited November 2013

Is there a single person who managed to make it work?
    In the documentation we are instructed to "declare vanilla_sso and give it the proper value then Vanilla will be able to sign in your user". I searched for references to "vanilla_sso" in the jsconnect plugin but I found nothing. Then, how it's suppose to work?

• Hi @sica07 I gave up using the supplied techniques and built a helper class to override the login system, http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23934/100-helper-class-for-external-authentication-integration/p1

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

It worked for me by following the docs.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• sica07sica07 New
    edited November 2013

@hgtonight said:
    It worked for me by following the docs.

@hgtonight: great! That means that it should work! That's very good news!
    Please help us understand how it works. More precisely, in the documentation there is a line that says: "Vanilla also has the ability to be embedded in an html page either as an entire site or just as embedded comments. With this scenario you need to create a special SSO string that can be passed to the embedded Vanilla and provide login information." From this I understand that there is no need for a separate page to provide the login information (in jsonp format). Thus, the vanilla_sso variable, as indicated in the Embedded SSO documentation, is enough.
    I followed all the instructions on the Embedded SSO article, but with no success. What I don't understand is: how is the data contained by the vanilla_sso fetched by the jsconnect plugin? I searched the source code of the plugin and didn't figure it out.
    Thank you in advance.

• I like how so many people have this problem yet no real reply has been made regarding the solution. I have a WP site with a vanilla forum on a separate url embedded in my site. I followed the instructions and yet it does not work. I tried hiring someone to fix this...um no help. I think I read every post...um no solution. Let me ask, has anyone actually gotten this plugin to work outside of the employees at Vanilla???

• yes many many people, though embedding and sso are different things. embedding makes no difference to jsConnect.

One of the issue with the wordpress is the default wordpress plugin uses a hook then often not called in wordpress themes. that is why I recommend using http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-vanilla-connect/ instead.

grep is your friend.

• jens1seojens1seo
    edited January 2014

@x00 said:
    yes many many people, though embedding and sso are different things. embedding makes no difference to jsConnect

One of the issue with the wordpress is the default wordpress plugin uses a hook then often not called in wordpress themes. that is why I recommend using http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-vanilla-connect/ instead.

I am using "wp-vanilla-connect" it is already installed....In the documentation of that plugin, you need to pass the client ID and Secret Code as well as the authenticate url and sign in url to JS connect. It is my understanding that BOTH plugins are needed to make this work....js connect inside your forum/theme/plugin folder AND in your mysite/wp-content/plugins folder. My site is Not embeded per say in that I need to login across 2 domains. Not an embeded frame on a WP page.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

@jens1seo said:
    I am using "wp-vanilla-connect" it is already installed....In the documentation of that plugin, you need to pass the client ID and Secret Code as well as the authenticate url and sign in url to JS connect. It is my understanding that BOTH plugins are needed to make this work....js connect inside your forum/theme/plugin folder AND in your mysite/wp-content/plugins folder. My site is Not embeded per say in that I need to login across 2 domains. Not an embeded frame on a WP page.

Quite. this topic isn't related to you then.

grep is your friend.

• Nice reply, that really answers the trouble I am having.

• @jens1seo said:
    Nice reply, that really answers the trouble I am having.

tbh I don't respond to sarcasm, and I'm a volunteer.

grep is your friend.

• I have done this on some wordpress sites and it works perfectly with the wp jsconnect plugin.

• Embedding worked for me, too, following the docs

But it took me about an hour to find out that the js variable vanilla_identifier should NOT be set if you want to embed the complete vanilla forum instead the comments only.

I suggest the documentation on http://blog.vanillaforums.com/jsconnect-technical-documentation-for-embedded-sso/ should clarify this explicitly.