Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking to hire Vanilla forums developer for small customization

We're looking to hire a developer that can help us with the following customization...

We'd like the ability to display a banner ad in the sidebar on all post/discussion pages that are specifically related to the category they are posted in.

For example, say there's a post about apples and it's posted in the apple category. When I go to view that thread discussion, I would like to see a banner ad in the sidebar related to apples. Likewise, if I read a discussion about oranges that is posted in the orange category, I'd like to see an ad in the sidebar related to oranges.

We don't need an interface or a plugin to add or remove the ads. We're comfortable with editing code to add/remove banner ads. We just need the framework for getting it to work within Vanilla forums.

If anyone is interested, please message us and we'd be happy to discuss more details and figure out payment.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

I believe there is already an add-on for this. or at least instructions on the forum on how to do this.

you may also be able to do this with pockets plugin, i haven't tested. or one of the category plugins and one of the ad plugins.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Have you tried out Apt Ads?

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/aptads-plugin

Are you looking to just target category keywords or actual discussion keywords?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @moose

what do you want to do if there is a post about "apples" in the oranges category. post an ad about apples or oranges.

meaning do you want to scan body of message for words or detect category of discussion in the discussion page and then put an ad for the categories.

if you are serious and have a specific amount you have decided for the customization (meaning not a quote from me, but a quote from you) - you could pm me. Otherwise you could work through it here on the forum with suggestions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @hgtonight said:
    Have you tried out Apt Ads?

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/aptads-plugin

Are you looking to just target category keywords or actual discussion keywords?

I'll look into, thanks for the heads up. I'm looking to target the parent category not any keywords. For instance, this post was filed in the 'Questions' category. See that square Vanilla ad just underneath the categories list on this page. I want to do the same thing, but I'd like the ad to change depending on the category the post is filed under.

• Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately those plugins do something different than what I'm trying to do. Essentially I just want to display an ad on a post page (like the one were on right now) and the ad shown would change depending on the category the post is filed under. For example, this post is filed under the 'Questions' category. So I would want the ad related to the 'Questions' category to show.

• @peregrine said:
    moose

what do you want to do if there is a post about "apples" in the oranges category. post an ad about apples or oranges.

meaning do you want to scan body of message for words or detect category of discussion in the discussion page and then put an ad for the categories.

if you are serious and have a specific amount you have decided for the customization (meaning not a quote from me, but a quote from you) - you could pm me. Otherwise you could work through it here on the forum with suggestions.

Hey @peregrine, to answer your question I'm not looking to scan posts for keywords. I'm looking to detect which category the post is filed under and then display an ad.

For example, see the blueish Vanilla "Need Help With Vanilla's Cloud Product" ad in the sidebar of this page. I want to do the same thing, but the ad would vary depending on which category the post is filed under.

So this post for instance was filed under the 'Questions' category. I would like a certain ad to show up for all posts filed in the 'Questions' category. Likewise, I would like a different ad to show up for all posts filed under the 'Developers' category.

I'll shoot you a PM. All the best!

If apt ads doesn't fit the bill I would be happy to create a plugin that adds a module to the side that rotates ads based on category being viewed.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@hgtonight said:
    If apt ads doesn't fit the bill I would be happy to create a plugin that adds a module to the side that rotates ads based on category being viewed.

I'll shoot you a PM. All the best!

@moose

no need to send me a pm, especially if hgtonight is offering for free, and I am not in a competition. just trying to help, if no one else offered.

• @hgtonight - Wow, that would be awesome! Would the plugin show an ad on a single post discussion page or the category (discussions) page? We figured out how to show an ad in each of the category views, we just can't figure out how to show an ad on a single post page based on the category it's filed under.

• @peregrine - We're on sort of a rushed timeline, so I'd be happy to pay/donate to get this knocked out.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

you could donate to hgtonight, i suspect he can get it knocked out soon. otherwise he wouldn't have jumped in.

I responded to your PM.

Search first

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

I got my plugin done hg, but i would rather see yours :) So I won't post unless you decide not to do it.

• unfortunately, because i have a slow connection, and vanilla won't change their timeouts, i am limited to extremely small images and low-quality.

different image per category-type discussion

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I think hgtonight is sleeping right now ;)
    That's a great example of a true 24/7 support, btw!

• @moose said:
    So this post for instance was filed under the 'Questions' category. I would like a certain ad to show up for all posts filed in the 'Questions' category. Likewise, I would like a different ad to show up for all posts filed under the 'Developers' category.

Apt Ads can do this

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2014

Sometimes people are too impatient for a solution, they don't realize it is under their nose.

grep is your friend.

@peregrine said:
    I got my plugin done hg, but i would rather see yours :) So I won't post unless you decide not to do it.

I was actually working on it last night the same time as peregrine. :D Got it finished then I decided to add a model for ease of updating. You can see the current source on my github repo: https://github.com/hgtonight/Plugin-CategoryAds

@x00 I have never used any ads plugins, and I just skimmed Apt Ads. Mind sharing how you would do this in Apt Ads?

Search first

• @x00 said:
    Apt Ads can do this

perhaps, you could post a sample setting so @moose can see how to set an ad in discussion based on each specific category so he can see how it works.