Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Which version to use?

I note that currently, if I want to download vanilla forum it suggests Version 2.0.18.10
But commercial hosted plan running on Version 2.2.5.
I also can see in git repository 2.0 and 2.1 branches plus 2.2.3.4 and 2.1b2 tags.
Which one is most stable?
AND if I am developer, and ready to go deep into bugs fixing/debuging/testing/contributing/ which version is latest?

Comments

• @whu606 How do I get the other versions?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@ilovetech said:
    whu606 How do I get the other versions?

The prevailing opinion is: "if you have to ask, there is no reason for you to have the development versions."

I advise you to read to figure it out.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• edited January 2014

@hgtonight said:
    I advise you to read to figure it out.

I just want to test them out.

EDIT: I found the 2.2.3.4 version

• Oooh, a new developer ... @leo72 that is much appreciated ...
    Here is the short answer The longer answer is that latest stable we refer users to is 2.0.18.10 If you want to develop for Vanilla and find / fix bugs then take a look at Vanilla 2.1 beta 2, this is the 2.1 beta announcement : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24845/vanilla-2-1b2-released

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thank you for answers.
    But I still interested in Version 2.2.5 which is shown on my payed hosted account (see attached screen).

Does it stable? Or 2.0.18.10 is better choose?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@leo72

Your question has already been answered above.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

Does it stable? Or 2.0.18.10 is better choose?

As of today.

this has been answered ad infinitum. bordering on ad nauseum. A simple search will answer the question.

There is only "one" official version that is both "stable and the most recent" is 2.0.18.10.

everything else that is 2.1 or higher is either alpha or beta.
    If it has a B it is beta.
    if it has no letter and is 2.1 or higher it is alpha.
    Simple enough.

Or 2.0.18.10 is better choose?

You questions are paradoxical. better for who?

a developer or non-developer. the announcements have not changed and always state the same thing.

developers testing - test with 2.1b2 and report issues.
    non-developers use 2.0.18.10
    anyone who wants to use a live alpha version that may or not be secure - use another version.

In answer to your question where is 2.2.5

2.2.5 is here

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden

just look in the index file - it will always say the version and will always by it nature be the alpha version.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The hosted version will always be ahead of the OS version. The version running on your hosted account is considered stable for that server environment.

If you are hosting your own forum, the server architecture, configuration, and underlying software components will be vastly different than the hosted version. This is why it is alpha software.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @peregrin and others, thank you very much. Now it is clear :-) "master" branch is what I was looking for. Perfect.