Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cannot apply themes

I can preview all themes perfectly fine but cannot apply any of them permanently. I can write other settings and enable/disable addons. It's just themes that cannot be applied in 2.0.18.10. What could cause this?

Tagged:

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

do you get an error?

have you checked permissions on theme folder and compared to plugin folder permissions? as well as ownership on the two folders. If the themes folder doesn't match the same permissions as the plugin folder (which does work) then change permisions accordingly.

if you are trying to change to a tpl theme. and you get an error, it is because your
    cache/Smarty/compile folder has the wrong permissions.

id theme manage box checked in permissions?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• BilgeBilge New
    edited January 2014

There is no visible error. Permissions are the same for themes and plugins. The cache folder, and all its subfolders, are world-writable.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

Try setting the theme manually in your /conf/config.php file. Change the line that starts with $Configuration['Garden']['Theme'] to $Configuration['Garden']['Theme'] ='ThemeName';

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• BilgeBilge New
    edited January 2014

This works, but the line was not already in the config, I had to add it. I still cannot change the theme via the dashboard even though all other settings can be changed there. I'm not marking this as answered until I can change the theme via the dashboard as is intended.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Bilge

Which theme are you trying to apply?

I've just downloaded and installed 2.0.18.10 on a test server, downloaded a theme Tamara, and it enables fine from the Dashboard, so there is something wrong with your setup, rather than the software.

• This problem affects all themes. The software comes with two. They can be previewed but not applied. The same is true for custom themes.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Bilge

I can apply both the Embed and the Mobile themes that come with the download, plus a downloaded theme.

Something has clearly gone wrong with your install.

It would probably be best for you to download and upload a fresh copy and reinstall.

Your issue can't easily be resolved, as it is an issue with your install, not a fault with the software.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Mind sharing your server info?

OS, php versions, any modifications, etc. would all be helpful.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

First, what are the permissions of the /conf/ directory and /conf/config.php file?

Second, do you have PHP APC installed?

Third, when you click the apply button for a theme, does the page reload itself? If the web browser does not reload itself and stays on the same instance of the page, would you please open the web inspector/developer console of your web browser to see if any JavaScript errors come up when you click on an apply button?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• BilgeBilge New
    edited January 2014

@hgtonight said:
    Mind sharing your server info?

OS, php versions, any modifications, etc. would all be helpful.

Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
    PHP 5.5.8
    Apache/2.4.6

<VirtualHost *>
            ServerName example.com
            DocumentRoot /var/www/example.com/foo

<Location /bar/>
                    RewriteEngine On
                    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
                    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
                    RewriteRule /bar(/.*) /bar/index.php?p=$1 [QSA,L]
            </Location>
    </VirtualHost>

• BilgeBilge New
    edited January 2014

@Shadowdare said:
    First, what are the permissions of the /conf/ directory and /conf/config.php file?

777 on both.

Second, do you have PHP APC installed?

No, I use PHP 5.5 with Zend OPCache enabled.

Third, when you click the apply button for a theme, does the page reload itself?

Yes, but it looks identical to before.

• Although it may prove to do nothing, can you follow these steps. even if you modify config.php in the earlier steps to get to defaults and then download the core again.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/199091/#Comment_199091

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• BilgeBilge New
    edited January 2014

Already tried all of those steps.

In case it means anything to anyone, after I tried to redeploy to a new folder to no avail, I reverted back to my original installation and was able to change the theme using the interface once. That means I let the installer do its thing to the database and it worked one time only. Then it got stuck again and I had to change it using the config again. This has nothing to do with permission on the config since the application can write all other settings to it. Despite claims that your software is perfect I would be inclined to start looking there at this point.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

you could try a different server host or make a local installation on your home pc, and see if you run into the same problems.

or you can make a duplicate test installation with 2.1b2 and see how that works out for you. purely as a test.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24793/yet-another-vanilla-upgrade-and-duplication-tutorial

or this

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21303/how-to-duplicate-your-forum-or-move-it-to-another-directory

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core-2.1b2