Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

2.1b1 - New comment count suddenly (I think) misfiring... any ideas?

whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Issue:

2.1b1

A user visits a multi-page thread for the first time.

They look at X comments and then leave the thread.

The Discussion list correctly displays the number of new posts.

User goes back in to the thread, but odesnt get to the end.

Comes back out.

Now no 'new' comments are displayed.

When the user goes back in to the thread, they are taken straight to the last page.

This issue seems to be recent. I can't swear to it, but I haven't noticed it before, and no one has reported it until today.

I have disabled the two most recent plugins I enabled, with no effect.

Possibly related:

The 'new' alert box has never shown when a thread is created, before a user visits it.

I haven't made any recent changes at all.

Anyone have a scooby?

I'm guessing I need to repair/update a part of the database, but not sure what or where.

Thanks.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited February 2014

@whu606 said:

Issue:

2.1b1

A user visits a multi-page thread for the first time.

They look at X comments and then leave the thread.

The Discussion list correctly displays the number of new posts.

User goes back in to the thread, but odesnt get to the end.

Comes back out.

Now no 'new' comments are displayed.

When the user goes back in to the thread, they are taken straight to the last page.

sounds like the normal behavior to me.

When the user goes back in to the thread, they are taken straight to the last page

if you don't want them to go to the last page you could use this, but I suspect this is not what you want. I assume the config statement is still in vanilla (it was in 2.0.18.x)

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Comments']['AutoOffset'] = FALSE;

This issue seems to be recent. I can't swear to it, but I haven't noticed it before, and no one has reported it until today.

I have disabled the two most recent plugins I enabled, with no effect.

Possibly related:

The 'new' alert box has never shown when a thread is created, before a user visits it.

what do you mean by this. it shows now, or it still doesn't show, or do you want it to show. you can control visibility via justnew and hasnew in css.

I haven't made any recent changes at all.

Anyone have a scooby?

I'm all out of scoobies. What about a dooby-do.

I'm guessing I need to repair/update a part of the database, but not sure what or where.

I don't thinks so. But i would upgrade to 2.1b2

Thanks.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited February 2014

@peregrine

Thanks for replying.

I guess I'm not being clear.

Example:

A thread I have never visited shows 67 posts.

I visit the thread, then leave.

Discussion page now shows 37 new posts (which is right, as there are 30 posts to a page.)

I go back, and it takes me to the newest post (37 of 67)

I leave the thread.

Discussion page now shows no new posts (but there are at least 7 unread on the 3rd page)

Going back into the thread, it goes directly to the last post (67/67)

So, for the first and second visits, behaviour is as expected (shows total posts - posts read as NEW), but subsequent visits it does not do this, and sends the user to the most recent post (i.e. at the end of the thread) regardless of where they had previously been.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited February 2014

no idea, sorry. does 2.1b2 have the same issue for you. if so, you could file on github.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I will try to recreate this on a localhost.

You are running 2.1b1 and not 2.1b2?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@hgtonight

Yes.

I will try to switch to .b2 over the weekend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Alright, I will have to set up a 2.1b1 environment first.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.