HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New Add On Utility Links

AdrianAdrian Wandering SpiritMontreal MVP
edited February 2014 in Feedback

I don't know about you but I got tired of trying to remember links for utility/structure, utility/update or dba/counts. I created this simple add-on for myself to include this links right into the admin so I didn't need to worry about it anymore. It's made life so much easier, I decided to share. Enjoy!

Comments

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited February 2014

@vrijvlinder, thanks. Not sure why it was never done before, but it was always bothering me trying to remember what they were. Maybe blame it on me getting older (and more forgetful :p )

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

All of your plugins fill in these gaps and I am glad for them !!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Nice!

Good to know Refresh Counts will be obsolete when 2.1 comes out. :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@hgtonight, as far as I know, refresh counts can still come in handy... I used it on 2.2.5 when I had an issue with category counts not being accurate after moving discussions around...

edited February 2014

Sorry I realize you meant your plugin Refresh Counts plugin.... I actually missed it (sorry :( ). This is my add-on for the community, not an official Vanilla one, so there is still a need I guess. :p Maybe I can find out how to get it added officially ...

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Not a big deal at all. :)

I didn't know about /dba/counts so thank you

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@hgtonight, yea dba counts is a nice one, but obviously very powerful and something not to be used lightly. It comes in very handy when you do some pruning and your numbers are out of whack. I also found the other links were annoying to remember too. Hopefully it makes it easier for everyone :D

• @Adrian I don't know about the others, but you're an addon king! Every one of your addons seem to fill in my problems. Thank you so much!

@ilovetech, I'm far from a king, but I appreciate the kind words :p

• I did not try this plug ins but look's great

• Typing in the utility links did get tiring. Thanks for making this simple and nice plugin, @Adrian!

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

my pleasure @shadowdare.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2014

Hi Adrian and everybody,

What would all of you think of extending this plugin to be a feature rich maintenance tool for Vanilla.

For example Private Messages in GDN_Conversation and GDN_ConversationMessage. A lot of people have already left my forum, some have been banned, etc. Why not allow the deletion of "Private Messages" by "> Banned Users" and "Users that haven't logged in for X time". If you enter the plugin you can see the total number of discussions and messages and the database space it takes.

Activity Wall: A function that allows to empty all entries of "GDN_Activity" before a certain date. With total numbers.

Drafts: A function that allows to empty all entries of "GDN_Drafts" before a certain date. With total numbers.

Same for GDN_Session and GDN_Logs.

-
    Also there should be an important warning that due to security reasons the plugin deinstalls itself after 2 days of installation. ;)

No, just jokin. But if this functions would be available it has to be clearly lined out (big red warning box) that the plugin should only be installed during maintenance tasks and should be deinstalled afterwards.

For deletions you of have to give the time-setting, a click on a button saying "DELETE" and have to type the phrase "DELETE" into an input field. To have a 3-stage deletion process here.

I haven't found "Utility Links" on Github. Is it up there so that the community could extend the plugin. Just an idea to get more maintenance functions into ONE plugin. Right now some function are split into many plugins in the addon repo. Integrating "Version Check" may also be an idea.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2014

Some of this function are already in the REPO as plugins made by "the cool crew" here on board, but wouldn't community administrators prefer a tool that sticks them all together and were functions are improved in one place?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@phreak said Just an idea to get more maintenance functions into ONE plugin

I see the value for adding existing links meaning... if it just changes a config setting or clicks on hidden links.

As far as already created plugins.....

Right now some function are split into many plugins

there will always be splitters and lumpers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters

I don't see a whole lot of value putting 3 plugins into one.

Version Check - does version checking.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/versioncheck-plugin

Activity Wall: A function that allows to empty all entries of "GDN_Activity" before a certain date. With total numbers.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/activitypurge-plugin

Same for GDN_Session and GDN_Logs.

as far as logs table,

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cleanlog-plugin

For example Private Messages in GDN_Conversation and GDN_ConversationMessage. A lot of people have already left my forum, some have been banned,

a separate plugin or cron script would be useful...

I agree here whether it is split or lumped - this utility would "clean up" your database of unnecessary baggage.

conversations probably has 100's of orphans if all users "deleted" message.

a utility that clears orphans from Conversation and GDN_ConversationMessage would be useful.

as far as drafts - you would need to let your users know you are deleting drafts - they may want them :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited December 2014

@phreak, link to the add-on was in the description:

https://github.com/adrianspeyer/VanExtend/tree/master/Plugins/UtilityLinks

I will make it clearer. It's a personal project I created for my needs. I give it to the community to fork away and add what they need. I'm not into making it a crazy complex plugin, I just wanted to surface what was in Vanilla already, for easy access :)

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Thank you for sharing this with us!