Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"Tagging" plugin included in Vanilla dashboard issues. More than 5 tags? Doesn't show up in search.

In regards to the "Tagging" plugin that comes with the Vanilla installation, is there a way to increase the number of tags that can be included in discussions? And is it normal for search to not return results when inputting tag keywords?

Best Answers

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

@hgtonight said:
    AFAIK, tags are used as a metadata categorization, not actually searched. So you can browse tags and clicking on them anywhere will get you a list of discussions that also use that tag.

tags are a non hierarchical means of grouping, and categories are hierarchical, which has limitations. There is no reason why you couldn't index them for search, however a tag search is a different thing to a text search.

Often tags are used as filters, like the retail sector uses them a lot.

Tag was originally aimed at SEO, but tagging is much more human focused these days.

Most site have moved way from strict hierarchy, to loose hierarchy, and tags.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    Answer ✓

The search system here is powered by Sphinx, iirc. There is a similar search plugin available for the OS version found here: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/sphinxsearch-plugin

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Answers

• Options
    edited March 2014

I'm wondering if I should have placed this in "Questions" or just the regular "Discussions" section... :\

• Options
    edited March 2014

The max tags allowed can be set via a configuration option. Place the following in your /conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Plugin']['Tagging']['Max'] = 10;

AFAIK, tags are used as a metadata categorization, not actually searched. So you can browse tags and clicking on them anywhere will get you a list of discussions that also use that tag.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Sorry, I would've marked this question answered! But, I was also hoping for a suggestion on an addon or a way to have search queries return accurate results when searching for tag keywords as well just like the search options offer on the vanillaforums.org community forums! :'( (And thank you so much for your first answer!)

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

@hgtonight said:

tags are a non hierarchical means of grouping, and categories are hierarchical, which has limitations. There is no reason why you couldn't index them for search, however a tag search is a different thing to a text search.

Often tags are used as filters, like the retail sector uses them a lot.

Tag was originally aimed at SEO, but tagging is much more human focused these days.

Most site have moved way from strict hierarchy, to loose hierarchy, and tags.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thanks hgtonight and x00. My other question is if there is an addon for search that is identical to the one on this forum?

• Options
    Answer ✓

The search system here is powered by Sphinx, iirc. There is a similar search plugin available for the OS version found here: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/sphinxsearch-plugin

Search first

• Options

Thanks so much. That's what I was looking for.