Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

for sign up, can you remove "gender" from the query on the sign up page?

We don't want to ask/require our users to submit their gender when they sign up. how do you remove this field?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

Gender is only used to determine what the user is called when it comes to pronouns (he vs. she). You could perhaps rename the options rather than remove it?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Version is Version 2.0.18.10

• Options

Easiest solution would be to hide it via CSS. I don't have the same theme as you, but you can use the following rule to remove it on the default theme. It may work as well for you:

.Entry .Gender {
      display: none;
    }

If you are wondering where to add CSS rules, put it in your theme's custom.css file.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thank you! SOLVED

• Options

Can you tell me how to add a field such as "organisation" with a text box that can be filled in?

• Options

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in on this as I removed this option as well.

Wouldn't adding the "/dashboard/design/views/..." file to your theme achieve this?

For example, what I've done (using the captcha registration) is added it to my views folder.

I've edited the file to comment out the requested "gender" requirement.

Wouldn't this be the ideal solution rather than using CSS to hide the option?

Just curious as I've taken a different approach and just wanted some clarity on it.

Sorry to jump in on your thread Epipen. I see you started another thread for your additional question regarding new fields, so hopefully someone can offer you insight, as I see there was already some mention of plugin options as well.

Thanks!

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I like searching for best way, although it is not very easy to find it. It most often ends up with a "...it depends...". And that's the correct answer here, too. :)
    Changing the view saves some bandwidth and I also think it is cleaner not to load something that you d not want to show. But every part of the theme you change must be reviewed manually if you upgrade and anybody who wants to can still manipulate the http request so that the field will be used.

Hiding it with CSS is straight forward, future proven and the amount of garbage data is very, very small.

=> unless you are modifying your views anyway, I would recommend the CSS way but one way is not more or less correct than the other.

The cleanest way might be to take out that functionality with a plugin:
    1. modify the view to not show the field (not sure but it might be necessary to override the view for this solution, too)
    2. hook BeforeSave and set field to default value

That's definitely not worth the effort, but if you are asking for the perfect way I thought it would be necessary to talk about the ways I could imagine ;)

• Options

I would clarify this: I have no previous experience with Vanilla forums and am generally only a modest linux user. I have plenty of shell experience but am far from a robust linux wizard, but am generally determined to solve any problem regardless of the OS and usually feel comfortable making changes so long as I have made backups. So...I appreciate your help.

That stated:

OurWebMedia said: Wouldn't adding the "/dashboard/design/views/..." file to your theme achieve this?

I have assumed that you meant there should/could be a file added to opt/vanilla/applications/dashboard/design/views directory, but there is no views directory under /design, and though i could create one, I am not sure what file you are referring to.

I noticed there is also a opt/vanilla/applications/dashboard/views directory.

Thank you

• Options

Definitely referring to copying the view from /applications/app_name/views directory to /themes/theme_name/views directory and modifying the view in your theme directory.

Search first