Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need suggestions to develop new social forums!

I had an idea from long time , about building a social knowledge sharing platform and was searching and reviewing a number of already built and community driven solutions. The most appealing was Vanilla Forums , as it is open Source and Free as well as , is backed by a large no. of supportive developers. I would be currently working on Free/OpenSource version.

My concerns are:

1. Is Vanilla secure? I mean as it is fairly new as compared to other forum solutions , and that too have reported being hacked by numerous persons.
  2. How many users does it can accomodate? Will it break if there are a lot of users accessing the website simultaneously? Is there a upper limit?
  3. Which version should i start working on , as i saw a 2.0.x and 2.1b2 and a few more others. Also i need to have a badges and gamification plugin , so i think it is only possible in 2.1+ versions(YAGA plugin). But they are in beta right now! Am really confused on this one :(
  4. What languages(web) do we need to know , to develop it further? We already have some members knowing HTML5+CSS3+JS+PHP5.x+MySQL. Do we need anything else to create our own UI for website and some plugins like Points system or Rank system?
  5. Some plugins that we need are already present , like the Q/A plugin in the community section addons. Will it be supported in next versions of Vanilla that are currently in beta or alpha?
  6. What should be requirements for my hosting server?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Best Answers

Answers

• @whu606‌ , but there are some plugins that are only supported by 2.1b2 like YAGA(that i definitely need). So should i wait for it to get released? Any idea about the dates..

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Cheers @‌hgtonight

I was being a bit loose with 'guarantee'!

• @hgtonight‌ , actually i knew that was an informal representation of 'guarantee' :smile: