Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Move "Bookmarked Discussions" to bottom of sidebar

I'm trying to figure out how to move "Bookmarked Discussions" to bottom of sidebar, below the "popular tags" list and other items.

Help? If it's a theme-specific thing, then perhaps @422 could help me?

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

e.g. to put who's online at the the top followed by...

$Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('WhosOnlineModule', 'TagModule', 'CategoriesModule', 'GuestModule','BookmarkedModule', 'Ads');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

$Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('WhosOnlineModule', 'TagModule', 'CategoriesModule', 'GuestModule','BookmarkedModule', 'Ads');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• this looks great! so easy and elegant!

I'm assuming it works, and that I could reorder those modules as I see fit;

what happens if I leave one out? Will it disappear? or go to the bottom?

• try it your self and save the configs! Unless you want to pay me to be on your advisory board.

• edited June 2012

Heh; I was wondering if I'd get in trouble for asking that one! You're a good sport, and I learned my little lesson :-P

• ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTIONS FOR THE BENEFIT OF WHOMEVER:

Yes. You can reorder the array and it does fine.

Yes. If you leave one out of this array, it drops to the bottom.

• now you can add it to the wiki! with some sample images!

• Will do. Do you have power with VF.org / the wiki? One thing i've noticed about the wiki is that it is not prominently featured in nav... especially given the important role it should have...

• DanielSchulzJackson said:
    Will do. Do you have power with VF.org / the wiki? One thing i've noticed about the wiki is that it is not prominently featured in nav... especially given the important role it should have...

I have no power, I'm just a user who started experimenting heavily in February.
    hbf can give you pointers on how to add to wiki.

it is not prominently featured in nav... especially given the important role it should have...>

I've whined mercilessly about this too. - apparently "they" don't want to for some unknown reason to me.

• It's not whining, we just have to make sure the users know about the Wiki some other way (like my signature). Register on the Wiki, try to make a page and contact me when there are problems (PM on vf.org is fine)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrine, underdog - It looks like I will be using vanilla somewhat long term, and I'm keeping a list of things to add to the wiki.

I really think the wiki should at least be a prominent link within DOCUMENTATION tab... sheesh.

To "The Public" - here's a wiki page on ordering modules in the sidebar, content, and otherwise:
    http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Modules#Organizing_Module_Sort_Order
    (though I would think it should list more modules than it currently does; perhaps @peregrine could show me where a list of modules is so I could add it there? or does @peregrine just have them in @peregrine's head?)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

@DanielSchulzJackson

I can't catch fish for you, but I can provide you a fishing rod.
    some of this you can do yourself. do you know how to use grep, if not learn it.

ll you have to do is download code on your pc and unzip it. You don't need to run a web server to explore the code.

that said, once you do. This can also give you a list of modules in vanilla and the plugins.

not quite in my head - just on my pc terminal when I do a grep and explore.

all I did was try it and experiment. I think you are right about documentation tab, once again. sheesh. But also try it yourself sheesh. And thanks for offering to add to wiki - no sheesh, sigh of gratitude from the multitudes.

grep -ri module * | grep -ri "Public" | grep -ri function

various people have useful signatures on this site. Aside form underdog's 422's, have you noticed x00's - something akin to "grep is your friend".

Become friends with it :)

myplug

If you find the answers to some of my questions, let me know

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20691/how-does-one-change-the-embed-friendly-theme-so-it-works-with-debug-like-all-the-other-themes#latest

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20711/how-do-i-trigger-addition-to-meta-table-upon-email-confirmation-or-user-addition#latest

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20710/the-transient-key-how-does-one-make-use-of-it#latest

I was hoping aolee, hbf, x00, S, businessdad, phil, Todd, Mark, Lincoln, or Tim to name a few, or some of the others who remain silent but are in the know might chime in on those.

It would be cool if more of the more experienced users were able to share more, provided they had the time.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

@DanielSchulzJackson

in addtion to above

here is a list of the core with some plugins included.

http://www.vanilla-wiki.info/vdocs/hierarchy.html

• @peregrine said:

Can someone please explain to a numpty where to make this edit, with a bit more detail too?

Thanks in advance.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@avantime4mike‌

That change would be made in your config.php file.

I'm not sure what more detail you need.

The modules are presented in the order that they are listed in that line.

What do you actually want to end up with?

• avantime4mikeavantime4mike ✭✭
    edited March 2014

Thanks @whu606 . So everything from the dollar sign.
    Do I just add this to config.php or find a similar line to edit (there's no section called "Modules" in my config.php)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

you can put it anywhere. but I put it between the list [Garden]
    config statements and the list of [Plugin] statements

you can also look in config-defaults.php and get clues as to what other statements might be available and useful (I am NOT telling you to modify config-defaults.php, just view it for info and learning experience)

• Can I include messages? as I use a message to display my donate button and it would be better noticed near the top. If yes what would I call the message module in the line I'm adding?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

yes - just put MessageModule in the config statement in the sort order you want.

e.g.

$Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('MessageModule', 'WhosOnlineModule', 'TagModule', 'CategoriesModule', 'GuestModule','BookmarkedModule', 'Ads');

• Inserted this:-

// Modules
    $Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('TagModule', 'MessagesModule', 'CategoriesModule', 'WhosOnlineModule', 'BookmarkedModule');

But it looks like "MessagesModule" isn't recognised as all the others have re-ordered but the messages.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

because it is MessageModule ! NOT MessagesModule