Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"upgrading" from beta to stable release

I've recently been tasked with the tech admin side of a vanilla forum. As I am not really a coder, I would like to migrate our forum from the beta release we are running (2.1b1) to the most recent stable version.

Would just following the upgrade instructions accomplish this? Or, am I really "downgrading" and I will run into issues?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

it may very well have issues, never tried. In general downgrades of any software aren't that smooth since no one tests them much. Other may have different opinions on this...

Personally i would upgrade to 2.1b2. and the next beta version which will come out shortly. Do you have a problems with 2.1b1 that aren't fixed in 2.1b2. Unless it is something particularly at issue with 2.1bx, it seems a bit like a fools task to downgrade.

on the other hand you could always make a copy of your forum and try to downgrade the copy and see what you are in for, as far as problems.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I've always used stable versions of forum software, so I'm not that comfortable with beta versions, that's all.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

it's semantics! one man's beta is another man's stable and vice versa.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is an interesting situation. I would duplicate the db and files. Then, delete all the core files (everything but /conf and /uploads and any addons you added in /themes, /plugins, /locales, and /applications), upload a fresh copy of 2.0.18.10, and see what happens.

I know you will lose activity comments, since those are stored in a new table. Everything else is column additions IIRC.

Either way, it would be interesting to see what happens! :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do this. I'll definitely post an update if I do it and let you know how it went, especially if it will help someone else later on.