Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

bunch of categories / import function

Hi There,

I am looking for a possibility to import a lot of categories from a list (.csv / .xls / .txt / .mdb) to vanilla, how do i arange that?

Anxious to know.
please help me out

Regards,

Tagged:

Comments

• just category names?

dump the category table.

look at the layout, match your csv to the layout. import it. Seems easier to just manually enter them.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

You can create a bunch of categories via mysql. Most hosts provide a tool such as PHPMyAdmin which will provide an easy interface to execute arbitrary SQL.

It is considered bad practice around here to have a bunch of categories. It is suggested to use tags instead.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I do not know but I would do the following steps to find out:

1. Export a test db to sql
    2. Create a category manually
    3. Export the db again
    4. Do a file diff with the tool of your choice
    5. Use Excel or the tool of your choice to create the sql to import the categories

If you are not comfortable with SQL, please post every category related changes the file diff showed and I will help you creating the SQL.