HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Thanks for the Drag and Drop !!

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Dearest Lords of Vanilla ,

I write this here today because I realize I was not dreaming and you implemented Drag and Drop for uploads !!!!!
This is incredibly AWESOME !! and I thank you, even though it does not work for peregrine apparently :(

Without seeming to ask for too much...would it be ok if I asked how you did it?

It looks as though it just encodes it as it does an img link. Does it upload and then encode it for inserting ?

As you know I have been after a way of doing this too for my forums, people clamoring for it.... Is it one of those "special" plugins you keep under the belt ? Inquiring minds want to know :)

and Many Many many thanks !! <3<3<3

Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited May 2014

It's a part of the Advanced Editor which I hope to bundle with 2.3.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

So it is a "special" plugin ... I like the way it works and the progress bar is very cool.

Possibly one of the nicest drag and drops I have used ! thanks again <3

• drag and drop images doesn't seem to work for me on firefox browser and ubuntu.

it says drop and I drop but nothing gets added. or it could be me.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

You don't see the progress bar ? you add the pic in the square with dotted border then wait for the progress bar.

Firefox requires that a user run the dataTransfer.setData function in the event.

For you jQuery users, that means the following code should resolve your issue:

function dragstartHandler(event){

event.originalEvent.dataTransfer.setData('text/plain', 'anything');

}
    Future events on the same drag will now properly fire as you expected. Obviously you can replace the setData arguments with more useful data.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19055264/why-doesnt-html5-drag-and-drop-work-in-firefox

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

doesn't work for me in chrome either.

I click the image icon. the box opens where it says drop image file. I drag the vrijvlinder avatar to the box and nothing happens.

But when I click browse files and then drag it works. So the drag and drop is only for files that you are uploading? correct? not for images that are not attached.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I'm just trying to get to the point. which you seem to dance around.

on some browsers - the drag and drop will properly drop non-attached images. it that correct?

yes or no!

or does it only work with attached images?

work-arounds not necessary for me. just a clarification to my question.

on some browsers - the drag and drop will properly drop non-attached images. it that correct?

For me this works on all good browsers, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, on a mac...

does it only work with attached images?

It does not work if you try to drag an image from the page that is already attached. but we can test that right now.

edited May 2014

It does not work if you want to drag an already attached and inserted image

• Hey, so is there a way we can use the advanced editor on our own installations? Is it available in one of the github branches? Thanks!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@breity Not yet, no. There will be an announcement when it's available.

• @Linc Great, looking forward to it. Will it be available in a 2.2 beta, do you think? Or will we have to wait for 2.3? Thanks again.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

I took this from the announcements - at the top of the screen.

but linc said once - he hoped to have it out by the summer. the editor that is.

I hope you don't plan to use 2.2 beta for self-hosting.... it is not a viable option.

hope this helps.....

What's next?

We're going to let 2.1 percolate for a few months and release the inevitable patches as it reaches more and more folks. That should keep everyone busy thru the summer. Patches will use the third decimal (2.1.1, then 2.1.2, etc). We've abandoned using a fourth decimal for releases.

Our next major open source release will be 2.3 (we've changed our versioning scheme; see the new README) and we expect to begin that beta cycle by the end of the year. We're already more than a thousand commits beyond 2.1.

We will continue to support 2.0 with security patches thru the end of 2014. After that we shall bid it an overdue farewell.

and this....

After 2.1, we will be leap-frogging version numbers between master and releases. Releases will receive the next odd-point number and master will then jump to the next even-point number. Therefore, the next open source release after 2.1 will be 2.3. When the 2.3 beta begins, master will move to 2.4.

• Cool, thanks for the update. Yes, I saw the announcement but just thought I'd check. I'll stick with Vanilla 2.1 and Wysihtml5 or one of the other editor plugins for now.