HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why adding your version is more important than ever

AdrianAdrian Wandering SpiritMontreal MVP
edited May 2014 in Feedback

I don't want to sticky this, but this is a post people can point to if needed.

With 2.1 right off the presses, never has it been more important to tell us what version you are using. Also if you are upgrading, please ensure you tell us the version you are coming from. This will help everyone in the community help you faster. We'd rather do that than waste time asking you to tell us first.

To expedite the help even more, let us know what you have tried first. Have you read the docs on troubleshooting and tried those steps? Did you get an error? If so ensure you take a screen grab or use the "code" selection in the editor to paste the code error for us to see in a readable way. It's not that hard (see below)

I can speak from experience: those that try to help us help them will get further in support than those that just say they have a problem and provide no info.

Now back to your fun working on your awesome Vanilla Forum.Thanks for listening :)

Comments

• I don't want to sticky this, but this is a post people can point to if needed.

I can't understand why not. but maybe some one will read this and comprehend.

although some people still can't understand.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

maybe it is worth a sticky for a bit.. :)

• And in my expirience this kind of topics never helps :)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

oh? is it like at the airport where there is a sign not to bring water but no one reads it so they end up having to trash the water ?

edited May 2014

I think it did what it had to ...it's been unannounced, so we can now go back to guessing what people are using when they don't include that info :D

I really think RJ plugin to add vanilla version at registration would be very handy.

That way they can't register unless they provide it. Saves us the hardship of asking 100000 times :)

@vrijvlinder‌ the problem is people might have multiple projects or it can change depending on the question. I think encouraging users to go to 2.1 will make things much easier, but there seems to be no easy short-term solution. We used to have a message which was soundly ignored, that's why I was kind apprehensive of even pinning this post to the top from the start.

multiple projects or it can change depending on the question.

They can enter multiple if it is more than one...

We used to have a message which was soundly ignored

Ok how about when you start a discussion you add another validation, to enter version and it can have a dropdown with a list of variables.

It can have also a none of the above variable so if it is not relevant to the version they don't have to say or it can say not apply.

There's only so much you can do.

Yes I saw that <3 , very good idea, how about red background with white letters ?

font-size:25px;

background:#f00;

and on post link hover the background goes red and flashes a few time :D

• @vrijvlinder said:
    oh? is it like at the airport where there is a sign not to bring water but no one reads it so they end up having to trash the water ?

Exactly. So many times i saw users ask for help and they don't provide any info. (not on vanilla forums)

edited May 2014

Yes, we ended up consulting with a Crystal Ball which most of the time works on even the hardest single word question "How ?" .....

Without it we would be lost :D

• And the worst thing is when they open new topics with title "help" :D

Yes, and the content is the same as the title but sometimes says "Please" and it's hard to ignore so I still try to guesstimate the problem. If they don't speak english it is terribly hard for them to understand us and us them. There is one user that comes in like that. To this day I don't know If any thing we did to help him actually worked. Many people don't report back if it worked. Only if it did not....

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

re:

I think that's a great improvement.

Actually put your version number of vanilla in your initial discussion post.

then we don't have to say "what is your version?"

Please don't say latest version (since your latest may not be our latest and latest can be any of several versions)

At this point in time there are 2 stable versions (each with different possible answers to your questions).

how to find your version number is located in link below.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/184012/#Comment_184012

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.