Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to work with tags?

Hi, i'm ultra new to Vanilla
I'm attempting to do a sort of home page, but I can't understand the way tags work.

To keep this entry short:
-I need to know where is the file that has the control of the {asset name="Content"}
-I need to get the tags so I can print the "Most Recent", "Popular" and if possible get some of the "Categories" to put in the home page.
( I'm guessing something like {asset name="Popular"} )

Thanks in advance

Answers

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

What version number of Vanilla are you running?

You most likely want to set your homepage to /categories/all and find some plugins that list discussions in the side panel. I would suggest the Latest Post List and Hot Threads plugins.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

In addtion to hgtonight's comment.....

It's fairly unclear where and what you want to do (at least to me).

or are you talking about your own custom home page.

use the basic pages plugin

or extrapages plugin

or see these

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/195082/#Comment_195082

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/206099/#Comment_206099

or are you talking about smarty template tags. which you can search for tutorial and discussions about those.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20231/how-to-become-somewhat-adept-at-modifying-vanilla-to-meet-your-needs-for-free

or are you talking about adding modules in panel.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks!

I'm on Version 2.1
    Those plugins seem like a good option.
    However, I need to create a totally costumed home page, in previews versions of vanilla, I find they had a "Enter the url to the page you would like to use as your homepage" field, but not in this one.
    So i'm modifying the "default.master.tpl" but don't know to make it work as a simple homepage, whatever I do to this file will be in every page of the forum.

Let me restructure my question:

Where and how can I crate a file to call inside the {asset name="Content"} as a homepage?
    And inside this file, I need to call the "Most Recent", "Popular" and only 2 categories that need to be displayed in the home page.

Thanks for your help.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

perhaps reading the above comments again might give you some insights :)

content is just the center (not a panel on the left). it doesn't have to do with "home" vs non-home pages.

do you want your site without panels.

you need to make up a mockup screenshot. (in this case a picture of what you want is worth 10 million words).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• This is what i'm trying to achieve
    http://community.ubnt.com/

I guess this isn't Vanilla
    But this is sort of the things I need in the homepage
    They have some categories in the top, just the latest post in the content area and the ability to post custom content

I try changing this
    $Configuration['Routes']['DefaultController']= array('categories', 'Internal');
    in te config file
    into my home page.

But it did not work.
    Hope you guys can help.

PS: By the way, I read the discussions you post earlier, but I did not get anything I can use ("ultra new to Vanilla")

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

In this case, I would check out the Nilla Blog plugin, or the upcoming Articles application.

You could probably hack something together with the Custom Pages plugin as well.

I personally use a plugin I wrote called Blander Blog, although I eagerly await the Articles application.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hi guys
    Thanks for your help, it was really helpful, I even find other things I did´t know I want haha

I came up with the solution:
    -Install the Custom Pages plugin.
    -Create a Home page with it.

• Go to the Routes Settings and edit the settings for that new home page
    • Change the "Route Expression" to "DefaultController"
      And that's it (so far)

Hope this info is useful for other new Vanilla users out there

Thanks again for your help

• I have realized now that I change the topic of the question...