Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Q&A Plugin not working?

Hi guys!

I've just installed the Q&A plugin and I can't see where I can start questions. Reading other questions about this plugin, it seems that you should be able to create either a discussion or a question but I don't have those options presented to me! :o

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Is there a little dropdown arrow on the New Discussion button?

If not, are you using a theme that maybe doesn't account for it?

• Hi!

Thanks for your answer! I've had it on the default theme and now a bootleg theme :( Both are not working I'm afraid.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@JanHoos Are you on 2.1?

• Correct! I'm on 2.1

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

And your New Discussion button doesn't look like the one on this site, with the little menu on it?

• JanHoosJanHoos
    edited May 2014

No I'm afraid not :( As you can see it is enabled because of the unanswered button in the menu
    www.janhoos.nl/forumtest

• der_kder_k New
    edited May 2014

Hello together,
    i have the same problem with this addon. After enabling there is no chance to create an question but the unanswered category is right there.

• MasterOneMasterOne ✭✭
    edited May 2014

I can confirm the problem as mentioned above.

I've just updated my Vanilla Forum installation from v2.1b to v2.1_final. With v2.1b I had QnA v1.1.6 and everything was working.

For v2.1_final I updated the QnA plugin to v1.2.1 (from https://github.com/vanilla/addons/tree/2.1) and the menu for the "New Discussion" button was gone.

I've now downgraded the plugin from v1.2.1 to v1.1.6 and the menu for the "New Discussion" button is back.

I'm using a slightly modified default template, nothing special, and nothing which could effect the menu of the "New Discussion" button.

So there is definitely something wrong with v1.2.1 of the plugin, however v1.1.6 (which I must have installed from github sometime last year) seems to work fine on Vanilla v2.1_final.

Any idea what the problem could be?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@MasterOne does it help with 1.2.1

what happens when you add this to your config.php.

$Configuration['Plugins']['QnA']['UseBigButtons'] = TRUE;

looking at the code, it seems to look like 1.2.1 has alot of extra stuff that isn't used on a self-hosted forum (certain badges etc.) . Although I haven't tried either version.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Same Problem with me :neutral_face:

• Added $Configuration['Plugins']['QnA']['UseBigButtons'] = TRUE;
    no change :(

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@Linc said:
    And your New Discussion button doesn't look like the one on this site, with the little menu on it?

it won't with any theme as far as I can tell because dropdown is commented out in the plugin.

and the big buttons option needs fixin' as well.

some fixes here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26902/some-adjustments-to-more-clearly-see-ask-a-question-in-q-a-1-2-1-new-discussion-button#latest

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You probably did not copy it right. Looks like you need to turn debug mode on in the config.php to see what it it. You can also see it in the error console where you host your site.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@der_k said:
    When I add these lines my site remains white and will not load :(

what version of vanilla, are you using. I tested in vanilla 2.1 and it worked for me.

I don't know about any other versions. someone else would need to give feedback if they were successful with changes in 2.0.18.x

• My Q&A plugin did not want to be enabled, it did not save, so I added the plugin enabled true code by hand to force it on ;) Maybe thats whats happening to your site as well?

• Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.1
    PHP Version: 5.5.6

Debug say:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'public' (T_PUBLIC) in /home/www/nc21548/html/privat/vanilla/plugins/QnA/class.qna.plugin.php on line 849

On line 849 are -> public function DiscussionsController_Render_Before($Sender) {

• post the 10 lines above line 849.

• @peregrine said:
    post the 10 lines above line 849.

1. }
    2. /**
    3. *
      • @param DiscussionsController $Sender
    4. */
    5. public function DiscussionsController_Unanswered_Render($Sender, $Args) {
    6. $Sender->SetData('CountDiscussions', FALSE);
  • if you are using vanilla 2.1

download the plugin again and reinstall the plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/qna-plugin

then try to enable it, before changing any code in the plugin. and then we can work from there.