Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error during Vanilla installation - /vanilla/setup/testurlrewrites 404 not found

Hi

I tried to do a fresh install of vanilla 2.1 on our server.

When I ran the setup page,it presented me with a page asking for database information and admin information, as expected.

However, once I submitted, the page simply redirected back to the same page, with no vanilla error message.
If I look in the database, the GDN_ tables HAVE been created.

In Firebug debug output, I see the following error: /vanilla/setup/testurlrewrites 404 not found

Could someone please tell me why this is happening? I cannot install Vanilla due to this.

Tagged:

Comments

• do you have js enabled?

post your ,htaccess list as well

and make sure you allow mod_rewrites.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2014

JS is enabled.

I had mod_Rewrites enabled.

.htaccess list is the original (see below)

Now, the /vanilla/setup/testurlrewrites request returns an "ok" and works, however, the page still displays the setup page once I submit. I have also tried deleting the GDN_ database tables and reinstalling, but the same thing just keeps happening over and over again - it just retuns to the same setup page with no errors displayed.

I have done a similar set up on another server and it worked fine. Just this instance is not working.

Any ideas? Thanks.

# Original
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       # RewriteBase /
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Is your /conf folder writeable by your PHP process?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Yes, all folders are writable by everyone.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

why don't you fix your .htaccess and read the comment in it and see if it works.

# (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       <b> # remove the # sign on the next line and adjust to your forum folder</b>    
        # RewriteBase /

what folder is your forum located in?

and fix this line

RewriteBase /

the # is a comment and means that it it not acted upon.

so it needs to reflect your forum folder.

RewriteBase /your forum

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2014

The same result when the folder is provided. It just redirects back to the set up page.

# Modified
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       RewriteBase /vanilla
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

• what are the permissions on your conf folder? and who is the folder owner and group?

what are the permissions on your config.php? and who is the file owner and group?

post your conf/config.php with private passwords and sensitive info removed.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to add this configuration in the config.php or make sure it's there. The last one the list is what stops the going to set up page.

// EnabledApplications
    $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Conversations'] = 'conversations';
    $Configuration['EnabledApplications']['Vanilla'] = 'vanilla';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Installed'] = TRUE;

• but it doesn't necessarily solve the underlying issue, why it didn't get there.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2014

I suspect they may have left the local host instead of putting in the name of the host.

This happened to me a while back and could not figure it out then my host pointed it out to me that is was wrong. This step does not happen when you use script installers.

If the config was generated then he can simply enter it there. It is possible that because it is already installed, it won't reinstall again.

Others have had this issue where $Configuration['Garden']['Installed'] = TRUE;

Is not in the config.php causing a loop of entering the info and redirected to setup.

• I would like to thank vrijvlinder for his response - because adding the line he suggested, which was not there as he guessed, solved the issue:

$Configuration['Garden']['Installed'] = TRUE;

So thanks again