Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How To Roll Back From Alpha Version

I have been made the administrator of our Vanilla forums, which are not yet actually being used yet (one group does have some activity, but that is about it). Apparently the person who set things up established an alpha version of the software, version 2.2.11.2, and I would like to roll things back to the most recent stable version, which is version 2.1.

I have no idea whether the software is installed on our server or if this is hosted by Vanilla. Can someone please let me know how I can find out where http://forum.stsci.edu/ is being hosted and how I can revert back to a stable version of the software.

Thanks -

george

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

IF you are not server administrator, you can't do anything. You need to ask the person who set it up, for admin access to the server.

Forum admin is not server admin.

grep is your friend.

• Options

So I assume that you are saying that we are being hosted internally and that we need to reinstall the software? In another thread I was told that someone could step me through reverting to the stable version but this is not possible?

Thanks -

george

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@GLSmyth‌

First steps:

1) Ascertain where your forum is being hosted

2) Ensure you have admin access to the host setting, so that you can edit and delete files as needed

3) Come back here and let us know!

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@GLSmyth‌ You need to have ftp access to the server at the very least to do any type of upgrades. Downgrades are more difficult, but possible.

Do you have FTP access?
    Do you have DB access?

If you answer yes to both of those, we can help. If you don't, we can't. Sorry :(

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

It appears that our forums are being hosted. Any idea who I contact for this?

Thanks -

george

• Options

@GLSmyth‌

If you mean your site is being hosted by Vanilla then you would go here:

http://vanillaforums.com/categories

However, if that is the case then you don't need to roll back, as the Vanilla team are running things for you, so you have their very latest stable version, which is not identical to the open source version.

• Options

Okay, I was told that Version 2.2.12 was an alpha version so if what we are running is stable then I will not worry about it. I feel like I am entering a movie halfway into it.

Thanks -

george

• Options

Thanks, I'll stop worrying about rolling things back.

george

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2014

I can confirm by dns lookup that your site is canonical with http://stsci.vanillaforums.com and therefore hosted by Vanilla.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@‌GLSmyth

Th confusion lies in the fact that that numbering you gave is Alpha for open source, but not for Vanilla hosted.

Since this forum is for open source, I guess it didn't register that you might be on a hosted plan.