Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What happens to existing user Points if I change Reaction Award Value?

eg.

Current Award Value for 'Thumbs Up' Reaction = +1 Point

Assumption#1: User 'X' has 10 total 'Thumbs Up' = 10 Points

Assumption#2: I change that Reaction Award Value to +2 Points

Question: Will user 'X' now have 20 total Points?

Thanks in advance.

Vanilla v2.1/YAGA v0.5

Comments

• try it :) and report back.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    try it :) and report back.

Ok, I've done just that.

Short answer is: NO.

If you change award value, existing point balances don't change.

I'm not sure if this is possible to be changed in the future, but I think it's a good idea.

One other bug I've found is the following: if people un-react after you change the award value, it substracts that value from the point balance of the OP.

eg.

User "Y" reacts to a post from user "X" and gives him a "ThumbsUp" Reaction = +1 Point awarded

User "X" now has 1 "ThumbsUp" Reaction = 1 Point (total balance)

Now, I change the "ThumbsUp" RAV to = 2 Points

IF user "Y" unreacts to the same post of user "X" THEN user "X" balance now is = -1 Point

I think this needs to be fixed in order for the point system to be more reliable, including a 'Lock Reactions after Z minutes' so people cannot unreact after a certain (preset) time interval.

What do you guys think?

PS: I've already suggested this to @hgtonight‌ here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26860/lock-in-reactions-disable-option-to-un-react but I know he is busy and I'm waiting for v1.0 (maybe he can include it then).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

@r0obert

What do you guys think?

I'll give you my opinions on your suggestions as an on-looker...
    obviously hgtonight can change what he wants.

If you change award value, existing point balances don't change.
    I'm not sure if this is possible to be changed in the future, but I think it's a good idea.

I wouldn't re-compute existing balances. for several reasons. it has to recompute everyone each time you change things. a potential performance killer. but worst of all- it changes the rules of the game in mid-stream. No one likes to play a game when the rules change.

User "Y" reacts to a post from user "X" and gives him a "ThumbsUp" Reaction = +1 Point awarded
    User "X" now has 1 "ThumbsUp" Reaction = 1 Point (total balance)
    Now, I change the "ThumbsUp" RAV to = 2 Points
    IF user "Y" unreacts to the same post of user "X" THEN user "X" balance now is = -1 Point

decide the rules of your game prior to playing. what you want is some another record of the date and point value assigned which is needlessly cluttered an unnecessary (to me).

I think this needs to be fixed in order for the point system to be more reliable, including a 'Lock Reactions after Z minutes' so people cannot unreact after a certain (preset) time interval.

I also think this is unnecessary. maybe they change their mind.

if you are using some reaction, and decide you don't want to use it anymore. you should retire it and create a new reaction with your new point system. but once points are established for the reaction - they should stay constant thru eternity.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• r0obertr0obert
    edited June 2014

@peregrine said:
    r0obert
    decide the rules of your game prior to playing.

I understand what you mean, but I disagree, at least partially.

I mean it's pretty tough to anticipate the future and what exactly your community needs - we're talking about specific reaction award values - so, I think having an option to change things later in the 'game' is logical.

Being left with three choices (all ugly) - a) delete all reactions and start over with new values, b) change values but risk unfair subtractions from player existing balances or c) change nothing and keep it as is.

I think we should have option d) there - change the rules from time to time as your community grows and you have a better idea of its needs w/o any downside like b).

IMO.

@peregrine said:
    but once points are established for the reaction - they should stay constant thru eternity.

[LOL] Reaction Here.

• I haven't looked at how he does things. but if he keeps track of each reaction (which he must.).

perhaps a dashboard option to recompute all points that you could run (if you changed rules of the game :) and assign different point values along the way).

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Reaction editing locking is already possible via a plugin (not released).

Changing a point value is tricky business. What seems intuitive to you is foreign to others.

As far as being 'reliable', Yaga is very consistent. Changing the reward of an action will effectively cause inflation. Points aren't designed to be a currency, but they share a few properties.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @peregrine said:
    I haven't looked at how he does things. but if he keeps track of each reaction (which he must.).

perhaps a dashboard option to recompute all points that you could run (if you changed rules of the game :) and assign different point values along the way).

I would love an easy way to recompile! (forgive me if this is addressed in another discussion)

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited October 2014

@dangerdonkey said:
    I would love an easy way to recompile! (forgive me if this is addressed in another discussion)

I could see doing this via a plugin. It is added to my list of plugin ideas: https://github.com/hgtonight/Vanilla-Addons/blob/master/README.md .

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.