Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla setup won't complete

GamertechGamertech New
edited June 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all, newbie to these forums. I've checked these forums, Google and the github page for info on this issue but no luck. I've found the same issue with other CMS' reported but none of the fixes apply to or help in this case.

I'm currently trying out different forum CMS' to replace our old e107 setup. I've downloaded several (e107 v2a, phpBB, VB, WP as well as Vanilla open source) and installing them all 1 at a time on a USB drive using xampp/wamp/uniform server to test and play around with what I can do with the CMS and theme.

They all install and work perfectly except for Vanilla. Most people would give up and just abandon it, but I want to get it working, as they've done a bloody good job with the Star Citizen website.

Install steps taken:

• Downloaded latest Vanilla from the homepage (vanilla-core-2-1)
  • Extracted and copied to correct folder on the server install
  • Use the appropriate controller to run apache and mysql
  • Created a new database for vanilla with all correct details
  • Browsed to localhost/vanilla (correct)
  • Completed the initial setup page as shown in install videos where the database and admin is set
  • Clicked continue, the page stayed there for 30 secs just loading before coming up with a white screen with no info
  • Enable error reporting gets this: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in I:\UniServerZ\www\vanilla\library\database\class.database.php on line 297
  • I forced the execution time to 60 seconds in the .htaccess but it did the same thing, only waited 60 instead of 30
  • Manually updated php to 5.6 same result

I've tried to get it working on xampp, wamp as well as uniform server (which is basically wamp anyway) and they all get the exact same error, and tested with Cyberfox, Chrome and IE, so it's something to do with the Vanilla install itself. Anyone got any ideas please?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Welcome to the community!

I actually run wamp as my local dev server and haven't experienced this problem. I recall having related issues with xampp and other software while it was installed on a USB drive.

I would suggest trying to run wamp from the local hard drive to rule out the USB drive.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I'll give it a go, thanks for the reply mate :)

• huh, it worked. The USB I use is a class 10, so it should definitely be fast enough, and as I said all the other CMS' I tried worked on it fine, just Vanilla that didn't like it. Wonder what's stopping it...

I use the USB as the server so I can port it around to different PC's and work on websites wherever I go instead of being limited to the one system or having to open the server to the outside world. So sucks that I'm limited to the one system with it, but it works so I can test it out now as intended.

Cheers for your help hg.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You can port your Vanilla install to your portable server. Just copy all the Vanilla files, and export/import the db via mysql.

You might have to make a few config changes, but nothing too difficult.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Installing to a USB stick is definitely possible. I've done that before (though using Z-WAMP)