HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Does not exclude "applicant" members - got my site shut down for spamming

karenrkarenr Vanilla 2.1 stable New

I have a very small forum whose members absolutely need notifications of posts, and nothing has worked quite right for us thus far, so I tried this add-on.
I never expected it to try to email all 978 spambot applicants (who I had been ignoring due to no easy way to mass delete them), which action caused my host, ipower, to immediately shut down my site and accuse me of spamming. I recommend you exercise extreme caution with this add-on, due to my own middle of the night experience.
No offense intended and all thanks to the author, I am sure it works out for some, but I wanted to share my horror story in case it helps others avoid the same problem.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Use the plugin Cleanser to mass delete applicants

There are several ways to prevent and deal with bot applicants.Keeping them in your db is a waste of space.

It is not common that a paid hosting service shuts you down for emails. They will usually let you know something is wrong before totally shutting you down.

You should be able to control/limit how many emails you send per day so you don't exceed you quota.

• karenrkarenr Vanilla 2.1 stable New

@vrijvlinder said:
    Use the plugin Cleanser to mass delete applicants

Thanks! Off to check that one out right now :)